Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse 4.0 [Source]

Link

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Nothing has been said about VB6 being bad. But as I know, VB6 does not know definition "dynamic". If I'm not mistaken, M$'s office 2003 was written on VB6.
>
> Each sheet with columns/rows is static. So if you create 50 sheets, no matter how powerful your PC will be, it'll become very laggy. Thus M$ rewrote their VB6 into vb.net which was mostly based on c#? Which means, that nowadays excels won't become laggy because of having lots of sheets, due to them being dynamic. (They exist only if they contain something unlike static in vb6, where they exist no matter if they contain something or not, thus bringing more load on ram).

You don't use Visual Basic 6's built in UI components like picture boxes. They are extremely inefficient. The reason we use it still is cause this engine has been developed for such a long time and restarting will take a long time to get back to where we are now. The upgrade is definitely worth it, but it's a long process and does not come easily.

so true… i decided, to redo all the work... not just to copy it, an try letting it running full of errors...( because of auto-converting, etc)

also, it will be possible to run in this ways:

VB6 Server with vb.net Client

vb.net server with vb6 client

i also dont change the data system

(just adding a multilanguage support :P)

is that okay for you?

Ps: sorry for my really bad english skills, im from luxemburg :P

how do i edit...

Support for older versions make it really heavy...

prefer to do a migration tool...

and why is this stupid?

in vb.net you need to know how to code… but in the end, you dont need other software an you have a clean an small programm...

in scratch, you dont nee know-how... just logik...but in the end, it is compiled, translated an you depend on the "functions" that someone integrated in scratch...also your programm gets bigger and bigger for the same as in vb.net

Sure its easyer, but i think i will stay in vb.net

possible that i do a mistake, but i have fun :)

If you actually have the programming ability to fix the upgrade errors from VB6 to .Net XXXX (I think it is 2005 with the upgrade tool which is ironically a decade old now.) you would understand why it is better to write from scratch. 1 or 2 years after gaining that knowledge you would learn why you shouldn't do it in VB.Net.

Best of Luck,

JC

> Is there a reason I should switch from EO3 to this? I'm not that far in my project so I could easily switch.

EO4 is much better (DX8 UI, optimizations, and many more features that EO3 did not have such as pets, houses, and random dungeons), but it is really limited to only programmers right now. It has code that was not properly removed since it used an authentication server to prevent people from using the engine when it was closed-source.

I am going to be making converters for this, to move to **Eclipse Worlds**, you can wait til the engine is more mature and move there since I will add all the features this has plus more. It's basically going to have all the greatest features - in one package so that people don't have to dig around themselves for what they want.

> I am going to be making converters for this, to move to **Eclipse Worlds**, you can wait til the engine is more mature and move there since I will add all the features this has plus more. It's basically going to have all the greatest features - in one package so that people don't have to dig around themselves for what they want.

No offence intended, but I'd rather see a cleaned up code for EO 4 rather than converters into Worlds, just my two-cents and I have a feeling other people feel the same way.

> No offence intended, but I'd rather see a cleaned up code for EO 4 rather than converters into Worlds, just my two-cents and I have a feeling other people feel the same way.

Eclipse 4 clean up will take more work than making a DX8 UI. I am not that motivated to work on two engines at once or I would, but I honestly do not think it is wise to spend my time on something not many people enjoyed in the first place.

> I am working on integrating the good code of the engine into Eclipse Worlds such as the UI, skin editor, and pet system. I will continually optimize and revamp the code as I improve it.

don't add Pet system in, it will reduce the server fluidity a lot, it's like having double time the number of players online, 

don't overload your server man ^^

> No offence intended, but I'd rather see a cleaned up code for EO 4 rather than converters into Worlds, just my two-cents and I have a feeling other people feel the same way.

Worlds is by far better than Eo4 specially if the good features are copied and optimised from eo4 to there;

sorry to see you paied for that :/

> Worlds is by far better than Eo4 specially if the good features are copied and optimised from eo4 to there;
>
> sorry to see you paied for that :/

I did not pay for that, but I like the editors better, all there is too it, I could learn to use Worlds, but I like to keep my options open, and if the only version is Worlds then I don't have many options

> don't add Pet system in, it will reduce the server fluidity a lot, it's like having double time the number of players online, 
>
> don't overload your server man ^^
>
>  
>
>  
>
> Worlds is by far better than Eo4 specially if the good features are copied and optimised from eo4 to there;
>
> sorry to see you paied for that :/

I personally like the pet system mostly because i make games for me and my friends so it doesnt effect my server and i dont see most games going big for this to cause a problem.

So, i have a question. Im used EO4 silver to create my game. My game is based on random dugeons and instances. This version is with removed zones and dugeons. Is there any chance run "gold version" from old version with auth servers ? I want to add some more quest and items to the game. But this code was removed dungeons. Or can owner now alow Gold membership for EO4 for everyone?

> and why is this stupid?
>
>  
>
> in vb.net you need to know how to code… but in the end, you dont need other software an you have a clean an small programm...
>
> in scratch, you dont nee know-how... just logik...but in the end, it is compiled, translated an you depend on the "functions" that someone integrated in scratch...also your programm gets bigger and bigger for the same as in vb.net
>
>  
>
> Sure its easyer, but i think i will stay in vb.net
>
>  
>
> possible that i do a mistake, but i have fun :)

haha, my sides ^^

Easy example:

just for doing this:

-Socket Server

-Creating ALL Files an Directorys i need

-Chat Function

-Registering and login function

for all theese "functions" i just needed 500 lines of code server-side and 300 client-side…

how is it in scratch?