Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No classes?

Sada

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on an mmo that has no classes?
I've been thinking about removing all classes and instead when the player starts the game they are able to put a set amount of points into different stats.
Vit
Str
Ranged str (temporary name)
Int

once the points have been placed and you start the game, the items and abilities you would use have a pre-requisit of what stats are needed to wear that item or use that ability.

Just thought i'd see what the communities point of view on this is, thanks in advance :)

Another crucial feature of classes is weapons.  Having weapons just based on attributes would be bland, but perhaps you should make skills that whenever you use a weapon, that weapon's skill goes up, e.g. you use a bow and your archery goes up.

There's been quite a few games that had no classes. (In and out of Eclipse.) The way it should be done, is pure stats, and weapons being just a bonus. Don't base your characters off just the weapons / equipment alone. Either way you think about it though, it'll still have classes. Your character puts his stats to INT. and uses spells, he's basically a mage without the class title "mage". Just depends on how you handle it.

I personally prefer MMOs that do not have classes. One reason I never could play Ambardia, that game was class hell in my opinion.

My favorite MMOs are probably Mabinogi and Haven & Hearth, both which have no class system, and allow for open-ended character development. That is mainly what I like; with classes you are stuck playing a certain way; I prefer being versatile so I don't get bored with my playstyle. Most games I know you can just make new characters if you're bored with a certain way of playing but I don't like to do that.

A class system that I liked was in DOMO, where as you gained levels in a class (or job), you could apply skillsets of that job to other jobs you would change to. (It's bascially like job systems of some FF games.) This method I liked alot as well.

One downside to not having a class system, is that there is little direction to character growth, and some people don't like to play MMOs this way. It is too easy to "waste" character stats on random side-skills. Also this gameplay method is of the type of player who studies up character builds and tries to be efficient as possible. Again this is a gameplay style, one I personally dislike (as a MMO is an interactive world not a spreadsheet), but to each their own.

Edit: To apply this more directly to Eclipse games, it is not hard to have a limited (or no) class-base system in Eclipse; just have a single starting class; or make your starting "classes" a player's race, which gives them certain base stats to start with. From there make all weapon and spell requirements stats-based, and anything with class-requirements avoid. Another alternative is to just have classes be later-level specilizations, which in my opinion thats what classes really are.

@Anna:

> I personally prefer MMOs that do not have classes. One reason I never could play Ambardia, that game was class hell in my opinion.
>
> My favorite MMOs are probably Mabinogi and Haven & Hearth, both which have no class system, and allow for open-ended character development. That is mainly what I like; with classes you are stuck playing a certain way; I prefer being versatile so I don't get bored with my playstyle. Most games I know you can just make new characters if you're bored with a certain way of playing but I don't like to do that.
>
> A class system that I liked was in DOMO, where as you gained levels in a class (or job), you could apply skillsets of that job to other jobs you would change to. (It's bascially like job systems of some FF games.) This method I liked alot as well.
>
> One downside to not having a class system, is that there is little direction to character growth, and some people don't like to play MMOs this way. It is too easy to "waste" character stats on random side-skills. Also this gameplay method is of the type of player who studies up character builds and tries to be efficient as possible. Again this is a gameplay style, one I personally dislike (as a MMO is an interactive world not a spreadsheet), but to each their own.
>
> Edit: To apply this more directly to Eclipse games, it is not hard to have a limited (or no) class-base system in Eclipse; just have a single starting class; or make your starting "classes" a player's race, which gives them certain base stats to start with. From there make all weapon and spell requirements stats-based, and anything with class-requirements avoid. Another alternative is to just have classes be later-level specilizations, which in my opinion thats what classes really are.

TL;DR Games with classes suck except some. Having no classes makes it more free, but also makes it easier to make an awful character by having no guidelines. Make the classes races instead and have different base stats.

This is what I am doing with classes. First I made it so you can just edit your character skin color. Then you start off as that. Then you can change your class to whatever you want after you choose a place that you start off to first. Like what ever your village you pick is your class. Then you level up in class levels.