Find results in...

VB6 is gone for Windows 8

Timmah

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Timmah:

> Well, Microsoft said they will not support the run-time files for VB6 in Windows 8\. What does this mean for us that still used VB6?  Do you think MS should still support VB6?

Microsoft has already announced that Visual Basic 6 isn't going to get any support any longer, since like Windows Vista. Even if Microsoft did bother to still support it, it will become useless soon since IPv6 is replacing IPv4 nowadays, whereas Microsoft Visual Basic 6 only supports IPv4 so far.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Toshiro:

> Knowing Microsoft, I doubt Windows 8 will really support anything useful.

It will be the Vista to 7\. No, not in the terrible way, but was not that much more useful.
@S.J.R.:

> Microsoft has already announced that Visual Basic 6 isn't going to get any support any longer, since like Windows Vista. Even if Microsoft did bother to still support it, it will become useless soon since IPv6 is replacing IPv4 nowadays, whereas Microsoft Visual Basic 6 only supports IPv4 so far.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Great point, I didn't know that.
@Fabio:

> vb6 was technically dropped in win7

How was it? I read on their article of EOL webpage that Windows 7 was the last OS to support it?

@S.J.R.:

> Microsoft has already announced that Visual Basic 6 isn't going to get any support any longer, since like Windows Vista. Even if Microsoft did bother to still support it, it will become useless soon since IPv6 is replacing IPv4 nowadays, whereas Microsoft Visual Basic 6 only supports IPv4 so far.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

The Winsock _control_ doesn't support IPv6\. The API does.

Anyway, Microsoft have been threatening to remove vb6 support for nearly a decade now.

@Robin:

> The Winsock _control_ doesn't support IPv6\. The API does.
>
> Anyway, Microsoft have been threatening to remove vb6 support for nearly a decade now.

You are right and wrong. The Winsock API doesn't support IPv6, unless you use version 2.2\. I wish you luck getting that to work though, since it's a pain to support Winsock properly in C/C++ already (Windows 2000 uses a static library, and XP, Vista and 7 all use ws2_32.dll). The entire BSD interface has been changed since IPv6, which means you'll have to know how to do DNS resolving, creating TCP/IP and UDP/IP sockets, receiving and sending data over sockets, how to set specific socket options (like turning off the naggle algorithm for TCP/IP), etc. Considering Visual Basic 6 doesn't have any of the structures, you'll end up writing them all yourself.

If you really feel like going through the hell of supporting IPv6 through Visual Basic 6, then you could better spend that time rewriting EO in C/C++, since you'll have to do the same, with less work and better support.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@MrMiguu:

> Does that mean it will stay up-to-date with the new IP versions since it's not embedded within VB6?

No, not specifically. If you wonder if anything written in Visual Basic 6 will support IPv6, the answer is quite simply: no. If you wonder if anything can be rewritten to use IPv6 in Visual Basic 6, then see the above reply.

Even applications written in C/C++ that use the Winsock API have to be rewritten to use IPv6-support, for the simple reason DNS resolving is completely different, just like a few other things. IPv6-support has only been added to Winsock 2.2\. That means that Winsock 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc. won't support IPv6 at all. If you want to support anything pre-Vista, you'll have to support older versions of Winsock as well (this is where the hell begins). If you want to support Windows 2000, you'll have to use their static library (since Microsoft released IPv6-support as a patch for that operating system) and if you want to support Windows XP, expect a service pack collision of IPv4 vs. IPv6 (somehow the BSD interface wasn't fully implemented back then).

The UNIX world is way better off, since applications that support IPv4 only have to be rewritten once to simply support IPv6 (BSD sockets are entirely backwards-compatible and IPv6 is supported since 1996; if you consider 'alpha' to be support).

@Robin:

> I'm not going to port EO to IPv6\. Was just pointing out that it isn't vb6 which doesn't support IPv6, it's the socket control we use.

VB6 doesn't support it either, unless you can manage to get Winsock 2.2 to work (run-time linking anyone?).

Regards,
  Stephan.

@MrMiguu:

> So when IPv6 is in mainstream use, will games programmed under VB6's Winsock IPv4 still work?

They will, but only for IPv4-addresses. If you start using "::1", or any of the IPv6-addresses, then such games won't be able to connect. (Phenomena takes a few years to occur on a daily base)

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Toshiro:

> Just follow Robin in terms of VB6\. He's still continuing his projects and the engine. If he's still using VB6, you should be able to. He usually knows what he's doing. xD

well ive been planing on doing an engine anyways in blitz. So might as well, since my game doesnt even use EO its uses EE. and lots of stuff Extra not needed anyways. IDK Ill figure something out, either 2d or 3d one or the other or a mixture of both.

So how would they stop VB6 application on Windows 8? Make the VB6 Runtime incompatible?
Which lead me to another question. So does Windows 7 come with VB6 Runtime?
So let say, when I install the Eclipse Origin on Windows 7, all I need is the Library Files or do I have to install the VB6 Runtime, too?

Sincerely,
Rithy