Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse networking capacity

Torraske

Hello, I am new in the forums.

I was searching info for several days and learning a lot about the eclipse, I have already installed and tested it and it is amazing.

But I was wondering some points, maybe someone can help me:

- How many users this engine allows at the same time? (I would need an estimated number, I would need up to 200, desirable 1000)

- Which "release" should I use? I would go for the "Eclipse C++", but I am not sure if it is very stable.

The reason for my last question is that my primal objective is to have a stable working client/server engine with some basic features (I am not a guru, but have about 10 years programing in C++)

But I have read that the Eclipse++ was made only for fun :(

Thanks in advance

Eclipse Origins 2.0 is the latest, most stable, best engine.

Eclipse++(.net) was a personal project of Marsh. It was never an official release.

I don't think you'll need to worry about the amount of players.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

@S.J.R.:

> If you have that much experience with C++, then this place is not for you. If you don't, then stop making things up.

This too.

@S.J.R.:

> If you have that much experience with C++, then this place is not for you. If you don't, then stop making things up.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

I would want to know why it is not a place for me. I though eclipse was a good engine.

Thanks Peteyyy for your reply

I guess is better to do not use the Eclipse++

@Peteyyy:

> if you have 10 years of C++ experience, created a faster, better, easier engine should be a breeze for you.

Ok, I know assembly languaje too, so if I think like you guys, I should do all the engine in assembly only because I know how to do it?

I dont want the best engine, and yes indeed I can create one.  But I only want someone stable to focus my time on the game details.

I dont understand why I should create a new engine if there is one that has 12 years of experiencie with a big community supporting it.

I wrote that I know C++ to show why I am looking for the Eclipse++.

All these comments lead me to think that eclipse is not so good as I thought

experience aside. This really depends on your server, connection speed and how much other stuff you put into the engine. How are we supposed to give you an estimate with at least 3 huge variables that we would essentially have to make up… so here it is: 184 people...

@Torraske:

> Ok, I know assembly languaje too, so if I think like you guys, I should do all the engine in assembly only because I know how to do it?
>
> I dont want the best engine, and yes indeed I can create one.  But I only want someone stable to focus my time on the game details.
>
> I dont understand why I should create a new engine if there is one that has 12 years of experiencie with a big community supporting it.
>
> I wrote that I know C++ to show why I am looking for the Eclipse++.
>
> All these comments lead me to think that eclipse is not so good as I thought

Eclipse is great for the 12-15 year-old hobbyists who actually use it.
If you're _serious_ about game development, and have the ability, I'd create that C/Assembly engine.

> Eclipse is great for the 12-15 year-old hobbyists who actually use it.
> If you're serious about game development, and have the ability, I'd create that C/Assembly engine.

Haha! What does age have to do with anything? I am 24 with a wife, a son and another son on the way.

@Mikekan13:

> experience aside. This really depends on your server, connection speed and how much other stuff you put into the engine. How are we supposed to give you an estimate with at least 3 huge variables that we would essentially have to make up… so here it is: 184 people...

Thank you Mikekan13

I am considering a very good connection speed, and the eclipse with the game in the example, my concern is related of how the engine manages the connection.

So with the example game and the best connection, would I be able to have 200 people online without problems? (and 1000) It is only to have an idea

Peteyyy:

(I didnt say I am game developer)
Yes I am seriuos,  that is the reason I prefer to use an stable engine instead of wasting time in creating from scratch modules that are hard to test myself (200 computers to test?)

I dont like to use the players as testers as well.
Finally, the game doesnt need the fastest or to have complex systems, so I dont see the reason I should create my own.

I didnt know it was designed for teenagers. I will be looking foward other replys to see if they agree with you.

BTW, are you a 12-15 years old?

@Torraske:

> I didnt know it was designed for teenagers. I will be looking foward other replys to see if they agree with you.
>
> BTW, are you a 12-15 years old?

It's not aimed at teenagers, it's more that the community is made up of mostly young teens.
I'm 17, myself.

Basically, if you're wanting a big, successful game, eclipse simple won't cut it. This is a hobbyist engine, not a professional game maker.

@Mikekan13:

> I mean assuming you spend like 5 grand on a server and have a big enough pipeline I don't see why 1000 would be a problem for EO. Granted it is in vb6 which is obviously slower than C. It all depends on what you are doing, what you have.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.
I have seen some connection engines that allows for example 50 players at the same time without problems, but after that, for a bad core, the connections were processed to slow.

An example of this is, if you put some functions in the connection loop, it can works fine for some connection, but after that (X connections) it became too long. (Or sync problems can bother)

BTW, do you know someone who have already had about 1000 players in game?

Peteyyy

_"Basically, if you're wanting a big, successful game, eclipse simple won't cut it. This is a hobbyist engine, not a professional game maker."_

Yes, I understand you now. But I dont need to make a big or professional game.

Thanks

@Torraske:

> I would want to know why it is not a place for me. I though eclipse was a good engine.

Let me get this straight: you want to hand in Assembly and C for C++.net or even worse Visual Basic? I am not sure what exactly is wrong with anything like SFML, SDL, Ogre3D, Irrlicht, or your very own solution, but if you've got _ten years of experience_ like you claim, you'd be way better off using any of the aforementioned solutions.

@Torraske:

> I dont understand why I should create a new engine if there is one that has 12 years of experiencie with a big community supporting it.

You'd be wasting your skills, it's as simple as that.

@Torraske:

> All these comments lead me to think that eclipse is not so good as I thought

Eclipse is targeted at the audience of people who want to do game development, more specifically, ORPG development, not at programmers who know how to develop games that out-perform the entire engine, since it is written in Visual Basic 6.

@Mikekan13:

> I mean assuming you spend like 5 grand on a server and have a big enough pipeline I don't see why 1000 would be a problem for EO. Granted it is in vb6 which is obviously slower than C. It all depends on what you are doing, what you have.

_Multi-threading_.

@Torraske:

> Yes, I understand you now. But I dont need to make a big or professional game.

I really do have issues following your _logic_ here.

Regards,
  Stephan.

> BTW, do you know someone who have already had about 1000 players in game?

No because as peteyyy said most people on here are hobbyists. Is it possible. Yes I think it is. Taking the straight vanilla engine that robin made and with a strong enough computer and a big ass connection speed you could get 1000 clients on a server. It is very improbable to see that many people on a game made with eo though. The game I am making is a custom engine built off Robins packet system. I am shooting for 500 people server capacity and I will be ecstatic if I get that many people to begin with.

@Peteyyy:

> You said you were serious about it.
> T_T

Sorry, English is not my languaje, maybe I havent been clear.

I am serious, but the game that I will build is not "big" or a "professional" game. I think you can build a "small game" in a serious way.  And an this small game will have about 200 players online.

It is different to me if I am professional or if the game is a professional game.

@Mikekan13:

> Edit: though If I had 10 years of experience in C then that is what I would be writing in.

Coming from someone who has a lot of experience in Assembly (x86, PPC, ARM, SPARC and m68K) and C, I wouldn't give up any of those two languages for anything else, _full stop_. And this is why it is hard for me to follow your logic, Torraske.

Regards,
  Stephan.

Mirage Source 4 can only hold about 100 before lagging. Eclipse Origins uses the same networking with more features/optimizations, if you want to go past 150 range you would need to rewrite the way the networking is handled. To split the network between several servers or write a server in .NET.

S.J.R. van Schaik:

I hate VB, but I wanted to start with an stable engine, and the Eclipse seems to be the best.

Since I doesnt need a very fast engine, I think I can face the VB

I thought ussing SDL libraries, but I realized that it might be better to start ussing an stable engine. Because I want to focus on the game details.

The objective of my project is to build an stable old-like game.
It wont have even sprites or animations.

I would like to if there is a problem ussing eclipse, is it buggy or have always some problem?

@Torraske:

> The objective of my project is to build an stable old-like game.
> It wont have even sprites or animations.
>
> I would like to if there is a problem ussing eclipse, is it buggy or have always some problem?

Eclipse just isn't as powerful or efficient as an engine coded in C/Assembly.

@Helladen:

> Mirage Source 4 can only hold about 100 before lagging. Eclipse Origins uses the same networking with more features/optimizations, if you want to go past 150 range you would need to rewrite the way the networking is handled. To split the network between several servers or write a server in .NET.

Thank you very much Helladen!

That is what I needed to know. Knowing it, should I use the Eclipse.net or Eclipse++?
Or would it be better to rewrite it?

@Torraske:

> Thank you very much Helladen!
>
> That is what I needed to know. Knowing it, should I use the Eclipse.net or Eclipse++?
> Or would it be better to rewrite it?

If you want to write an engine, yes, that'd be the best choice.

If you don't want to write an engine, use Eclipse Origins. Eclipse++ isn't complete and Eclipse.net is bug riddled. The only stable one is Eclipse Origins, which you can find it the Downloads tab.

@Soul:

> If you want to write an engine, yes, that'd be the best choice.
>
> If you don't want to write an engine, use Eclipse Origins. Eclipse++ isn't complete and Eclipse.net is bug riddled. The only stable one is Eclipse Origins, which you can find it the Downloads tab.

Thanks Soul, I have already downloaded and tested the Eclipse Origins, and I thought it was good enough to my pourpose.
But now I am not sure about the connection issue