Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Begginner's programming?

Jeff

So, I'm interested in programming but don't know where to start really.  Of course I've played around with VB6 as it's the native language of EO, but it's old.  If I tell people I know VB6 later in life, it won't help me much at all.  I'm looking for something that's fairly basic(no pun intended), but will help me learn something about programming.

I'm mostly Considering the .Nets because they're Visually oriented and C# and VB.Net are fairly comprehendible(Haven't touched C++.Net).  For C#, I've tried XNA but I got an error saying I needed a new graphics card(any way around this?).  I haven't used VB.Net much, but I've been considering it more and more.  I liked C# a lot, but the XNA failing was sort of a downer.  The only reason I'm considering VC++ is because it might teach me a good bit about native C++ while being .Net'd and Visual Based, some stuff I'm used to.  I've also played with python, but when I found C# I thought C# was a lot more easy.

Any Suggestions on what Program I should use to learn the basics of programming, something easier than C++ or C.  Preferably quick to program with, too.  I'd also be interested in Library or graphics programs.

Wow.  I just completely posted this in the wrong section.  Could a mod move this?  I feel so retarded.

C# is what I will probably be converting FtG over to when I get a stable beta in Vb6, and have a bit of a fan base. My brother is a professional programmer and he seems to really like c# and says it is one of the easiest languages. I have considered Java too. I would love to code in C but I just don't think I have the patience for it.

@Frosty:

> Of course I've played around with VB6 as it's the native language of EO, but it's old.  If I tell people I know VB6 later in life, it won't help me much at all.

…why? Learning _any_ language is going to help you. Just because Microsoft are trying to force people out of VB6 doesn't mean it's a bad language. It's very good at what it does. RAD Database Front ends.

If you strip away all the shit that's pretty much what EO is. A remote database front end.

It's not about what language you learn but what you use to learn it. Learning VB6 through EO is going to be better than learning C++ through a few half-arsed calculators you found on PSC.

I'm assuming you're posting this because you want to make an ORPG. If so, learn VB6 and EO. There isn't a solid, easy to learn engine around in other languages. Then later on if you want to move to another language you're free to.

@Robin:

> …why? Learning _any_ language is going to help you. Just because Microsoft are trying to force people out of VB6 doesn't mean it's a bad language. It's very good at what it does. RAD Database Front ends.
>
> If you strip away all the shit that's pretty much what EO is. A remote database front end.
>
> It's not about what language you learn but what you use to learn it. Learning VB6 through EO is going to be better than learning C++ through a few half-arsed calculators you found on PSC.
>
> I'm assuming you're posting this because you want to make an ORPG. If so, learn VB6 and EO. There isn't a solid, easy to learn engine around in other languages. Then later on if you want to move to another language you're free to.

Actually, I don't really care about making an ORPG.  I'm more concerned about making simple things right now.  I don't have anything in particular in mind right now, and I'm not interested in a game engine.  Atm, my short term goals are to make a space ship game (like asteroids), or a Boat game.  I'm more interested in getting a solid foundation in a decent Programming language so I can fairly quickly program games when I'm inspired.

@Mikekan13:

> C# is what I will probably be converting FtG over to when I get a stable beta in Vb6, and have a bit of a fan base. My brother is a professional programmer and he seems to really like c# and says it is one of the easiest languages. I have considered Java too. I would love to code in C but I just don't think I have the patience for it.

May I ask what graphics engine you plan on using with it?  I liked C# a lot when I was playing with it, the only reason I'm having second thoughts about C# is because I'm hearing the .Net framework is slow, and XNA wasn't working for me.

@Tivoilos:

> It's all based on opinion. I say just go with C++ C because almost all major companies use C++ C if you really want to find work as a programmer or even do it as a hobby it's the most supported programming out there. It's not that hard

Are C++ and C quick to code with?  I'm also looking for something quick.

This has to be brought up every other week if not more.

Go read [_The comprehensive Programming and Coding Debate Thread_](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,350.0.html) in the Debate board, you'll find 181 posts of people telling you what language would be best for you.

@Admiral:

> This has to be brought up every other week if not more.
>
> Go read [_The comprehensive Programming and Coding Debate Thread_](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,350.0.html) in the Debate board, you'll find 181 posts of people telling you what language would be best for you.

That's awesome.  Saved me about an hour or two, I must say.