• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How To Get Speech Bubble?

juvanio

Hey!

I wanna know how to do a speech bubble every time one speaks :D

Like: ( just edited with Photoshop )
[![](http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2392/unled1bq.jpg)](http://img171.imageshack.us/i/unled1bq.jpg/)

Rip it out of Stable/Evolution.

Or, lest Robin/Some Robin buttlicker comes here and says otherwise, don't listen to them, as not everything in Stable is 'bad' as it is made out to be. I ripped, and adjusted the Mail system from it for my game, and it turned out perfectly fine.

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at how it works, myself. I'll post some findings in a min'.

@QWERTYUIoP:

> Rip it out of Stable/Evolution.
>
> Or, lest Robin/Some Robin buttlicker comes here and says otherwise, don't listen to them, as not everything in Stable is 'bad' as it is made out to be. I ripped, and adjusted the Mail system from it for my game, and it turned out perfectly fine.
>
> Anyway, I'm gonna go look at how it works, myself. I'll post some findings in a min'.

Perfectly fine? Just because a feature works doesn't mean it works _well_. But, of course, you know much more about programming and the quality of systems than I do. Please, feel free to guide me through my own fucking engine again in the future.

Robin, what I mean is that, whenever you refer to Stable/Evolution, you say the entire thing is inferior, while that is majorly mostly true, there are a few (Mind I say a few) things that it has, that Origins lacks, that can be converted, and work near perfectly fine.

@QWERTYUIoP:

> and work near perfectly fine.

Again, it's that kind of mentality which caused Stable to become the piece of shit that it is. People thinking that a system 'works near perfectly fine' when in fact it's draining the FPS, causing instability, raping people's resources and just generally being bad.

You really think I just have something against those old engines for the sake of it? I have one philosophy when it comes to designing games. _If something is worth doing it's worth doing well._

Ripping out Sean's old code and plonking it in to Origins is not fine. It is not good advise to give. Sean knew fuck all about programming. He picked up a copy of VB6 and just smashed shit together till he got something which worked. That's it. I know because I used to sit there with him on Ventrilo at 7 o'clock in the morning whilst he was high on coke programming this stuff.

The speech bubble system in Stable is _abysmal._ It is honestly terrible. You'll forgive me if I don't take the word of some 15 year old southerner over my own experiences and opinions.

If you want to trick yourself in to thinking that ripping systems from Elysium just because you can't do it yourself is okay then go for it. Try to make and release a solid game with that state of mind. Please. Prove me wrong. In the mean time I'll go with what I've learnt and what I know and what has consistently proven to be the best course of action.

Meh, point taken.

Still, I really don't see why you have such a massive thing against Evo/Stable. People used it for ages, before Origins came along…
I know you've just explained it, but I personally never had any major problems with it, neither have I spent much time reading the source (In fact, I spent about 20 minutes, and that was when I was looking at the mail system. xD)...that's probably why I can't see the massive thing about it...

@QWERTYUIoP:

> People used it for ages, before Origins came along…
> but I personally never had any major problems with it...
> neither have I spent much time reading the source...

There's your problem right there. Yes, lots of people used it. No one actually released a proper game though. If you try and release a game with anything pre-Origins then you'll come across all the problems with it.

The simple fact is that you're arguing about something you know nothing about. The developer of Stable himself said that you shouldn't use his engine and should use Origins instead. Support for EE has been dropped completely and support for Stable is only legacy. You'll have a lot of trouble finding someone knowledgeable enough to help you, as well.

Everyone has switched to Origins for one good reason; It's the only thing left which you can make a good game in.

If you want to stick to the past then go for it, but don't come crying to me when you try and release an actual game with it.

but shouldnt we combine both and create the best one?
Yes i know according to the creator of EE, EE is not good. But hey… dont they have some cool thing too? Because they are bad doesnt mean we shouldnt look at it. EO, it is good, but have u ever see it disadvantage? Everything always have two side, the good one and the bad one. Combine both together, eliminate the bad thing out and create a good one.

@TianaJRP:

> but shouldnt we combine both and create the best one?
> Yes i know according to the creator of EE, EE is not good. But hey… dont they have some cool thing too? Because they are bad doesnt mean we shouldnt look at it. EO, it is good, but have u ever see it disadvantage? Everything always have two side, the good one and the bad one. Combine both together, eliminate the bad thing out and create a good one.

If you actually see anything good in EE/ES, do yourself a favour and code it from scratch. ;]

@Robin:

> There's your problem right there. Yes, lots of people used it. No one actually released a proper game though. If you try and release a game with anything pre-Origins then you'll come across all the problems with it.
>
> The simple fact is that you're arguing about something you know nothing about. The developer of Stable himself said that you shouldn't use his engine and should use Origins instead. Support for EE has been dropped completely and support for Stable is only legacy. You'll have a lot of trouble finding someone knowledgeable enough to help you, as well.
>
> Everyone has switched to Origins for one good reason; It's the only thing left which you can make a good game in.
>
> If you want to stick to the past then go for it, but don't come crying to me when you try and release an actual game with it.

Yes, fair point.

I never said I was sticking with Stable, I was just saying a few things were worth porting. xD

In kind regards, eclipse evution and stable suck. Hunk about it. Here are like 50 different forms, runs thousands of lines of code and can get jammed up. Nasty memory leaks that can cause even the most powerful computer to crash after even a few days of coding. I wouldn't want any old engine codes in my game. In simpler terms don't copy anything from any old eclipse engine

you'll need to draw the bubble to the screen, resize it to the size that is needed for the amount of text. Then find the text that was said which would be map talk, then draw the text into the bounds of the bubble. Couldn't be that hard to code, you need to know how to draw text to the screen n how to resize a image on the run.

Resizing an image would just look stretched. What I did for it was cut out the corners, render those in the correct positions, then filled in the gaps with stretched genericness.

![](http://www.crystalshire.com/files/screens/17.png)

@Tivoilos:

> Thanks Robin. Either way would work just depends how you want it too look xD

No it would not. Stretching an image around will always look bloody awful.

Here's your method:
![](http://i.imgur.com/J8VMy.png)

And here's mine:
![](http://i.imgur.com/t6GZL.png)

@juvanio:

> When will it be released :#

Whenever you make it and release it to the community.