Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting more ram from your hard drive! (using your HDD as RAM!)

IFX

> Swap space that was the word I was looking for, I learned something today.

Swap space and Virtual Memory are essentially the same thing, Linux just calls it SWAP Space because it actually creates a partition on your hard drive for it, this method is actually faster then using Virtual Memory. I believe Virtual Memory still uses the Filesystem your hard drive is formatted to. SWAP space has a file system designed especailly for virtual memory.

> more crest stuff here.

Do you have any clue as to why windows "deteriorates" over time? i mean first things to come to mind is either wear and tear on your hard drive, or not defragmenting, but digital harddrive still have it "deteriorate" so it wouldnt be wear and tear. and i defrag nightly, so that doesnt explain it. is it just too many regestries? or.. idk. i have no idea.

and i did have a custom desktop at one point, but a power surge ruined that for me. its okay though, the motherboard was too fucking old to do anything anyway. I just fear custom building a laptop because it seems tedious, and i dont want a desktop because as a producer i want something i can bring with me places.

> Do you have any clue as to why windows "deteriorates" over time? i mean first things to come to mind is either wear and tear on your hard drive, or not defragmenting, but digital harddrive still have it "deteriorate" so it wouldnt be wear and tear. and i defrag nightly, so that doesnt explain it. is it just too many regestries? or.. idk. i have no idea.
>
> and i did have a custom desktop at one point, but a power surge ruined that for me. its okay though, the motherboard was too ducking old to do anything anyway. I just fear custom building a laptop because it seems tedious, and i dont want a desktop because as a producer i want something i can bring with me places.

Didn't see this… Basically it's just use over time, defragmenting and stuff. Your computer records data like cookies and temp files over time it just becomes a big old cluster of crap.