Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Member of the Month

Link

Hi guys! So, we're trying out something new. It may not be exciting and it may not be all that, but I was at home thinking about how to best reward the good members of eclipse and the future members. So we, the eclipse staff, will be choosing one member every month who has shown passion towards the site and or community, been helping around the site, been interactive with other members and or even the staff and have been showing that they deserve some recognition.

I've taken it upong myself to not only offer this member with a custom user group "Member of the month" but also even more juicy rewards to reap. This will include cash payments of 5-10$. Forum points ranging from 1k-3k. A banner on the site dedicated to the member as well.

Why am I doing this? I'm hoping it will encourage a positive attitude from the community. We have even more updates coming your way, for now that's about it. Note: This may be changed a little as it is a draft. Everything is being worked out.

Regards,

Link

Better put a clause you cant win twice in a row or ill end up winning every month! ;)

Joking aside, it sounds like a great idea! Will definitely make people want to be more helpful. Could bring a lot of positive light to the community. Good idea.

I nominate Agoraphobic as well, always kind and willing to help.

> Ego contest. Good way to boost the community.

its not a ego contest in the least. that makes zero sense.

your ego is your own sense of self-importance. an ego contest would be everyone declaring why they're the best and users voting on the most convincing argument.

If if was an ego contest id win hands down, but i think you'd probably be the runner up.

i dont think you believe your own bull though.  i think you're just trying to knock down something this forum is trying to do to help itself.

this is a genuine effort to try to promote good behavior in the community. stop trying to create some kind of rivalry between eclipseorigins and indieRising because there is no competition. there is one forum about mirage based rpg engines, there is another forum about indie game development. apples and oranges man.

go troll somewhere else this is just pathetic.

Why is this ^ guy so mad?

He is not trolling, he is kinda right, it does sound pretty "forced" to me.

If people can't be nice to eachother and help eachother without any kind of reward then that's pretty bad and shows how fake people are, and this thread promotes that kind of mentality.

A dog used to get his treat after every trick, will bite his master's hand sooner or later.

> Why is this ^ guy so mad?
>
>  
>
> He is not trolling, he is kinda right, it does sound pretty "forced" to me.
>
> If people can't be nice to eachother and help eachother without any kind of reward then that's pretty bad and shows how fake people are, and this thread promotes that kind of mentality.
>
>  
>
> A dog used to get his treat after every trick, will bite his master's hand sooner or later.

Really lame to be referring to someone in the conversation from the 3rd person.

recognition for doing what you should do isn't just about the person being recognized. its re-enforcement for the other people involved to understand what kind of behaviors are welcomed and approved of in a given community. its deciding who is the role model for the month. who acted in a way that we should all act?

By allowing the community to vote in this monthly contest EO is actually letting the community decide who these role models would be.

its brainwashing/conditioning/programming BY the community FOR the community's benefit.

the whole reason it even works is because of peoples drive to be recognized and appreciated in fact its taking advantage of it and using that to help mold those fragile people into something more acceptable. there isnt anything fake about that its just how it works.

its funny because you use an example about dog training and it is in fact very related.

but the same person doesn't get the treat every month. only one person gets the treat and everyone whos interested is doing the tricks.

do you know how a bird chooses who gets the food out of all the baby birds? its the loudest one. they all chirp and flap their wings strengthening their muscles and honing their songs. loudest first, then next loudest, and so on. the bird is training the baby birds the same way a recognition contest works.

same thing in dog training. you only give the treat to mold the behavior. once the behavior is engrained you don't have to give the treat anymore. research dog training before you use it as an example.

congrats on seeing the tip of the iceberg though. maybe you will figure something out if you keep looking.

Alright guys, let's keep everything on topic. If I've learned anything from reading YouTube comments, these kinds of passive/aggressive discussions never get anywhere.

I think UnGod would be a good nomination (although he happens to be the master of passive/aggressiveness), because a lot of the information he has to offer can be very helpful and bring insight to other members.

How come everytime an attempt is made to boost the community there's always so much hate? From the same people. I think that's the only problem with egos…a few select members just discourage or try to discourage everyone else. I think that's the funny part, you guys try harder to discourage members than anything else.