Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO 2.0]'How to make an attack animation/frame'

da_gad_pader

This is a tutorial for making an attack animation or frame.
REMEMBER:This tutorial need VB6

when ur done with this , u will need a 4x5 sprite (4 frame hor x 5 frame ver)
for player sprite, or in paperdolls

First: go to ur client on
modDirectDraw7 under BltPlayer find this:
```
' Check for attacking animation
    If Player(Index).AttackTimer + (attackspeed / 2) > GetTickCount Then
        If Player(Index).Attacking = 1 Then
            Anim = 3
        End If
```then change the Anim = 4 like this
```
' Check for attacking animation
    If Player(Index).AttackTimer + (attackspeed / 2) > GetTickCount Then
        If Player(Index).Attacking = 1 Then
            Anim = 4
        End If
```
then find this:
```
With rec
        .top = spritetop * (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lHeight / 4)
        .Bottom = .top + (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lHeight / 4)
        .Left = Anim * (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lWidth / 4)
        .Right = .Left + (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lWidth / 4)
```change to:
```
With rec
        .top = spritetop * (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lHeight / 4)
        .Bottom = .top + (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lHeight / 4)
        .Left = Anim * (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lWidth / 5)
        .Right = .Left + (DDSD_Character(Sprite).lWidth / 5)
```
now ur done ,
REMEMBER AGAIN: u will add ur custom attack frame , just make ur player sprite to 4x5 , put ur attack animation on the right side of the sprite.

OPTIONAL:if u want on paperdolls too , just go to BltPaperdoll then do the same thing, and make ur sprite 4x5 too .

the end.

sample of sprite , the right side is the attack animation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by converter i meant from eclipse origins to this.i mean like since you made a new sprite format that supports and attack animation/frame…you might not want to do all the hard stuff manually and manually convert eclipse to this format.so we might need a converter.just suggesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So I applied this onto the source. I realized that my sprite is KINDA offset on a tile o.O will I have to graphically correct that in GIMP/PS? :I

However if I did that then the sprite would be off center in the sprite sheet, making paperdolling a bit difficult because the room in each 64x64 (I use those sprites :3) sector will be shrunk/expanded.

AWESOME POST! 10 out of 10\. Thank you so much for this!

(No he is correct. It is 4 horizontal rows, each one now containing 5 ainmations. However when you actually start counting the rows, your mind, or finger, or whatever, is moving vertical as you count so it is very confusing.)

@Shaunfroggydog:

> AWESOME POST! 10 out of 10\. Thank you so much for this!
>
> (No he is correct. It is 4 horizontal rows, each one now containing 5 ainmations. However when you actually start counting the rows, your mind, or finger, or whatever, is moving vertical as you count so it is very confusing.)

Ah, I understand what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a brief question… When the game compiles the sprites and makes them it still splits them into 4x4 sprites so If you add the fifth it compiles my sprites all weird... How do I fix this? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit : By the way Connor is definitely right, it's 4 frames vertical and 5 horizontal...

Let me state the problem in this tutorial: if you want to make attack animations for each class every single paperdoll you want to make useable for each and every class cannot have no class specific type. Which means you have to make a paperdoll version for each class… ex. Pants (warrior version) pants (magican version). I think players will be dissapointed when they find a drop and they find out it isnt for their class (even though they have the same pants). Unless there is a way to make a file that has all the paperdoll versions of every class, and you add a way for it to pick the file (when its non-class specific) and pick which classes it will work with and put it all into one for it to work with those classes. Unless this is possible with vb6 the players will complain about drops not specific to their class even though its the same pants as their class version. unless this is possible its a really bad idea to use this tut.

• 2 weeks later...
I see your point, he should have said 4 Direction Rows x 5 frames each…or something like that. However, this doesn't seem to work anyway. Does it matter that I popped open the file with a text editor? It shouldn't, should it? Cause I don't have VB6.
Anyway soon as I changed the graphics, (the code seems to have no effect?) things became all choppy and misread just like if you select the wrong number of frames in the animation editor.
It is behaving as though my changes to the code had no effect whatsoever, so it is still looking for 4 frames when there are now 5 on the graphic...it get's all confused that's what creates the chopping effect.