Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just got kicked out

deathtaker26

I was kicked out at my dads place. I am 24 going on 25 in march. Spent ages 18-23 in the Army, came back home after getting out and making a deal with my dad that I could stay at his place while I attend college on my GI Bill. Did that for a year, found myself a gf and her parents lost their house. I had her come stay in my room and maybe a few months later, my dad decided he wasn't having it and kicked me and her out. Slept in my car for a few, now staying at a friends until I find a job (had to drop out of school for now) and that's my situation now. It's pretty rough. You should be alright, if you have a job and some source of money so you can eat and shelter yourself. I hope you don't have to sleep in a vehicle.

Good luck to you sir.

I got my first job at like 14 or so so I already had work when I left.

I would just getting a starter job like a grocery store or washing dishes. The nice part about washing dishes is that anyone can get it with 0 experience and you can actually advance. I started off washing dishes then got moved to prep cook then cook etc. Good starter job that pays the rent. Can even turn into a career if you want to go that way.

Its not a secret man, just get a job and get a place. Do you have a place to sleep? If not there is shelters and hostels you can stay at. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. There is no secret man just go and live life, you will learn along the way. Now is when the fun part starts.

Honestly I was a lot happier when moving out, can do whatever you want. Have cash on hand. Your own place. You could also go to college. Take out student loans if you dont have cash. It can get you a better job and pay for your place in the meantime. 

Either that or keep your seasonal job of selling christmas trees and go on welfare for the rest of the year ;)

tbfim not suprised you got kicked out, you use towels and rags for a bedroom door.

On a serious note, Goodluck, it seems daunting and like nothing will ever go right, but get a job that you would before of thought "like F im doing that". Anything counts, income is the first step to standing on you're own too feet. Sponge and scrounge until you can feed you're self then in my opinion fight for you're own. Dont have a income and sponge and scrounge because friends and other family will resent you in the long run.

Check the free classifieds, pennysaver or craigslist for housing offered and see if you can bag a room rental preferably near mass transit if you have bus routes.  usually can get one for $200 a month.  If you don't already have a job, get something FULL TIME, not part time.  Part time you're always fighting over hours and its bullshit really.  Once you have established income you can start to focus on small upgrades here and there, or saving for a vehicle if you need one.  

I worked a convenience store and had a 1 room apartment for four years, then I got a car and a job at a credit union for 3 more years, now at 33 I'm a vice president for a major financial institution and have houses up and down the east coast.  Don't need to rent in PA by any chance do you? haha, goddamn tenants.

I was never kicked out, but I moved out at 18\. Maybe you could get a small job (for now) and roomate with someone. Stay away from fast food because it leads to a dead end, but places like FedX have nice pay rates with flexible hours with proof of highschool diploma. You could work a job like that and manage college, but most important over all is to always plan ahead since things will be a little tough now.

Financial management will be pretty important. Other than that, you could always join the military. Be sure to stand strong, don't lose track of any goals you had, create a solid foundation that way your life isn't all over the place. Personally I had started planning to move out at the age 15, so I was already throwing plans and such together, laying out what I'd like my life to have been like.

The only obstacle for me was money for college, which I now have through the military and then some. So it's a pretty set path. Just remember not to be frustrated or confused, remain calm and think smart. It might sound greedy but the best advice I received around 14 was to look at everyone around you and how they can benefit your success, are they an asset to your plans? Also, make sure you're not doing things alone or cutting yourself off from everyone.

Then again, I'm only 19 I haven't lived much. People like  [OmegaXtc](http://www.eclipseorigins.com/community/index.php?/user/86413-omegaxtc/) or Agora and even Marsh have been around the block more than me.

Welcome to adulthood,

Sometimes it sucks, but Kijiji or classified ads, craigslist etc, you may need to start by just renting a room somewhere as opposed to your own apartment or house, at least until you get your feet on the ground. It may take a few months.

Finding a good steady job is key, it'll help you save money.

Good luck!

Find a job.

if you dont have a job then your job is finding a job.

ALWAYS keep a job.

NEVER quit a job until you have another job. until you've worked your first day and you know for sure you're an employee. no job promises or good possibilities has to be absolute.

Apply at every store in every strip center you pass every resterant. if your area has industrial work apply there too. even construction work has entry level stuff that you CAN get if you're tenacious enough. get phone numbers everywhere you apply and call every few days. for construction jobs call every day.

Try to find a roommate but dont room with someone who smokes pot.

pot heads are mostly harmless but pot heads have pill junky friends who have coke head friends who have crack head friends. things can get ugly fast.

besides rent your second biggest expense is food and you cant avoid it.

dont buy anything but gas from convenience stores. the markup is super high. convenience stores sell convenience which is expensive.

dont buy fast food. its over priced and under nourishing. tons of calories but almost nothing else.

shop around at different grocery stores for your food. dont just assume one store will be cheapest for any reason.

some cheap stuff you can buy that will stretch your food dollar

ramen noodles (keep some just as backup dont eat these often)

spaghetti

Brown rice

peanut butter

bananas

frozen veggys

eggs

when you go grocery shopping think in healthy meals per dollar.  If i buy this and this and this i could make X meals out of it.. so thats X per meal.

always keep food in your home.

save

save

save

save

save

SAVE MONEY

understand you cant spend money basically at all on fun stuff. money is no longer a toy. Money is a tool.  starting out you're probably not going to have very much wiggle room when it comes to bills versus income.

put every dollar you can aside and stack up at least a few thousand that you don't touch outside of emergencies.

you might lose your job.

you might get hurt and be unable to work

you might need to help someone else.

Network.

talk to the people you work with. find out what else they have done for work. be friends with everyone. I agree with yukiros mentality of "what can this person do for me" everyone is a valuable source of information and they're almost always willing to share that information especially if it makes them feel good about them-self in some way.

some relationships are built around utility. You can do something for me and i can do something for you so we stay friendly. its pretty normal to be a tool for your tools and you get much more out of people if you're willing to help yourself.

oh and dont give any bitches free rides. ass cash or grass.

Also I strongly recommend that when a landlord is giving you a tour of an apartment you are about to lease make sure you take pictures of any chips, marks or other signs of wear and tear, preferably with the landlord in some of the shots (with his consent of course) This can save you your security deposit when you move out as some landlords will claim it to pay for damages to the property that was already there.

Once a landlord claimed $200 from me and my roommate just for cleaning 'dust' in the cupboards, which was nonsense since my roommate was a neat freak by the time I found out that my roommate agreed to pay it was too late :/

Wow, For the record, I read it all I just got internet back.

For anyone interested, I am doing fine, I got some job applications processing, I got a place to crash in my home town after a weekend of living with my biological father, who I don't really get along with. Things are looking pretty up-beat right now, Tomorrow, I job hunt and I will still be attending College courses.

> Hope all goes well for ya bud. Just don't murder your boss if he doesn't use crest toothpaste
>
>  
>
>  
>
> lol i kid i kid but goodluck bud.

So, you guys are gonna drop it… I had to resort to colgate this weekend, it's all my father had.... I, Crest, Used colgate, let's let that sink in.

> Sometimes you got to hit **rock** bottom to climb to the top… Hang in there man..

Nice

Seems like you need some advice from Good Ol' Wise Rock, You can make a living by selling Rocks xD

[http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/selling-rocks-rock-shop-lapidary-zmaz71jfzsto.aspx](http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/selling-rocks-rock-shop-lapidary-zmaz71jfzsto.aspx)

On the other note Wise Rock is being totally serious you could actually earn a living by doing this.

I am actually relatively close to moving out, and am insanely inspired by everything that is on here. Crest, I am sorry about the events happening to you, but this is kind of a treasure cove of information that I am sure i will need.