Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Eclipse Galaxy v0.9]

The New World

@K722:

> I nominate this being in the official downloads section once it's able to download.
>
> Maybe Rose being Head Developer if the engine gets big enough, hence Robin stepping down.
>
> Anyways, looking forward to it. :)

He didn't do very much yet… It's not a big enough mod to replace Robin's engine.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Helladen:

> He didn't do very much yet… It's not a big enough mod to replace Robin's engine.

Helladen, you're misunderstanding what Origins is for, it's not to give you a complete engine to make your game with. It's to give you a simple base that can easily be edited and tailored to your needs without useless features you need to pry off, which is so far exactly what Rose is doing still. So your arguement is invalid, it could be the replacement as it (so far) goes onwards in the same philosophy.

She's fixing bugs, and clearing up core mechanics. That's all Robin would've done as well.

@Helladen:

> He didn't do very much yet… It's not a big enough mod to replace Robin's engine.

Along with what Yami said, I'm not packing this engine to be a one click wonder game maker. I'm fixing, optimizing, and expanding the basis of Eclipse Origins v2 Beta.

An important announcement, after some thinking, I've decided that, since I know everyone will want features to whored out in this engine, I'll simply write Eclipse Galaxy compatible tutorials for implementing these systems yourself, but I will not release them pre-coded in my own established Eclipse Galaxy source code.

One other thing, I've decided since these control arrays aren't for everyone, I will be releasing a version of Eclipse Galaxy with, and without them. The number of people who like the improvement will determine the length of their existence.

@Lightning:

> I know a few members wanted me to carry on with EO, but I see you have already started. ;] Would you mind if I helped develop Eclipse Galaxy also? As long as you wouldn't mind me helping. xD

I also offer my support if ever needed.

@Rose:

> One other thing, I've decided since these control arrays aren't for everyone, I will be releasing a version of Eclipse Galaxy with, and without them. The number of people who like the improvement will determine the length of their existence.

That's really generous of you actually. Most developers just release it their way, and say deal with it. Nice to know you actually care to give people additional options. Brownie points for you. :3

An example of how the arrays work:

```
Private Sub cmdResEditorBtn_Click(Index As Integer)
Dim tmpIndex As Long

Select Case Index
        ' Save
        Case 1:
            ResourceEditorOk
        ' Delete
        Case 2:
            ClearResource EditorIndex

tmpIndex = lstIndex.ListIndex
            lstIndex.RemoveItem EditorIndex - 1
            lstIndex.AddItem EditorIndex & ": " & Resource(EditorIndex).name, EditorIndex - 1
            lstIndex.ListIndex = tmpIndex

ResourceEditorInit
        ' Cancel
        Case 3:
            ResourceEditorCancel
    End Select
End Sub

```

@Helladen:

> I disagree on that. It's harder to find what your looking for when you can simply double click the control instead of finding the index number.

I agree but also disagree. If she has coded everything just search what you want to find instead of looking for the index. Or before double clicking look at the array number. It both seems easier yet harder at the same time.

It's just preference, it's not really something you should change unless the developer of the engine prefers it. The memory aspect is very minor, computers can hold so much memory, a few extra controls won't really affect much.

Also about the delayed rendering of graphics, isn't it a waste? When I talked to Jscinder he said it wouldn't of helped, if not slow it down. When I tested it, it really had no affect on my FPS speed either.

Not really a waste at all. The graphics and text were rendered too fast which is totally not needed. so i delayed the render speeds of both to a level where the game still runs perfectly smooth + your client won't kick the **** out of your CPU if you're on a system with very low specs. I tested it on a few computers and it does make a difference.

@Helladen:

> It's just preference, it's not really something you should change unless the developer of the engine prefers it. The memory aspect is very minor, computers can hold so much memory, a few extra controls won't really affect much.
>
> Also about the delayed rendering of graphics, isn't it a waste? When I talked to Jscinder he said it wouldn't of helped, if not slow it down. When I tested it, it really had no affect on my FPS speed either.

I guess you don't read the extra aspects I include in my posts. I said the arrays will only live as long as they're preferred. And for the delayed rendering, why do you want to have so much FPS for a 2D game? If it was a game using at least a particle engine, then I could understand, but for this engine, there really is no point to have a large mass of FPS. Like it or not, it's there for now. And if you really don't like it, it's less than 5 lines of code to select and delete.

Running the loop as fast as possible will load one of your cores to max. For some computers, especially the old ones, this is their entire processing power. There isn't really any point in rendering these out at 120FPS if you only really need 60 to make it look smooth. Might as well keep the load down low.

@Vaughan:

> Running the loop as fast as possible will load one of your cores to max. For some computers, especially the old ones, this is their entire processing power. There isn't really any point in rendering these out at 120FPS if you only really need 60 to make it look smooth. Might as well keep the load down low.

Which is exactly why it's classified as an optimization. Thank you for backing me up on this.