Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dubstep =)

ark0n

I hate genres. There are so many types of Dubstep out there that you can't say "I love Dubstep" or that you hate it. Skrillex is 99% different than iBenji, which is 99% different than Borgore.

Dubstep, by definition, uses 2 step beats, usually a kick and a snare, and uses an LFO modulated bassline. If you take that description, you could tie it onto a lot of other genres. Some dubstep is quite and is meant for relaxing, while other, more popular types are used for mosh-pit dancing and hence wasnt meant be listened to casually with your iPod.

The dubstep you are all talking about is called Brostep. It focuses on the drop and is used for raves and night clubs. It tends to be way more harsh than the original music within the Dubstep genre. I listen to Brostep to get pumped up before I work out, but thats pretty much it. Otherwise, I cant have it on for too long before it gives me a headache. The reason for this music isnt for casual listening, so don't complain that it's "annoying" or "tone-deaf" because it accomplishes it's job on the dancefloor.

The dubstep Azure is most-likely talking about is ambient dubstep, otherwise called melodic dubstep. This type of music is NOT meant for dance floors, but rather for casual listening. It is the original type of dubstep. It usually accompanies another instrument playing in a background, and doesn't use Saw synthesizer waves, unlike Brostep. I listen to this type all of the time. The bass tends to be in the background, and usually tends to take up extremely low frequencies.

I wrote this on my iPhone. Ill go back and spell check later.

I like certain types of techno but i hate the fact that when i post some "dubstep" people are like thats not dubstep thats "house" or one of the other 1000 sub genres that all sound the same.

As for good artists? Krafty Kuts, Bass Nectar and skrillex are basically the only things i have really listened to. Also yes i am aware you said Skrillex is not dubstep, nor do i care.

@Marsh:

> I like certain types of techno but i hate the fact that when i post some "dubstep" people are like thats not dubstep thats "house" or one of the other 1000 sub genres that all sound the same.

I HATE THIS. Pretty much why I stop discussing music at all. I was always wrong on whatever arbitrary subgenre a certain song or group is a part of, and it is always such a horrid offense.

@Jungle:

> I hate genres. There are so many types of Dubstep out there that you can't say "I love Dubstep" or that you hate it. Skrillex is 99% different than iBenji, which is 99% different than Borgore.
>
> Dubstep, by definition, uses 2 step beats, usually a kick and a snare, and uses an LFO modulated bassline. If you take that description, you could tie it onto a lot of other genres. Some dubstep is quite and is meant for relaxing, while other, more popular types are used for mosh-pit dancing and hence wasnt meant be listened to casually with your iPod.
>
> The dubstep you are all talking about is called Brostep. It focuses on the drop and is used for raves and night clubs. It tends to be way more harsh than the original music within the Dubstep genre. I listen to Brostep to get pumped up before I work out, but thats pretty much it. Otherwise, I cant have it on for too long before it gives me a headache. The reason for this music isnt for casual listening, so don't complain that it's "annoying" or "tone-deaf" because it accomplishes it's job on the dancefloor.
>
> The dubstep Azure is most-likely talking about is ambient dubstep, otherwise called melodic dubstep. This type of music is NOT meant for dance floors, but rather for casual listening. It is the original type of dubstep. It usually accompanies another instrument playing in a background, and doesn't use Saw synthesizer waves, unlike Brostep. I listen to this type all of the time. The bass tends to be in the background, and usually tends to take up extremely low frequencies.
>
> I wrote this on my iPhone. Ill go back and spell check later.

Jungle, if it has the word /dubstep/ in it it's fucking dubstep. Don't give me your over saturated /I'm a wanna be music producer/ opinion. As Anna said people like you are the reason we can't just discuss music. You always have to insist how /we're not talking about the right sub genre/ or babel on about how our taste of music isn't as good at yours because some of us don't discriminate against a song just for being mainstream.

@Kusy:

> Metal! La la la la la!

Ironically I used metal and it's sub genres to explain how Electronica as a whole is a bloated mess made up of people so busy being /unique/ they don't realize they're just another part of a group like every other genre. lol

@Azure:

> Jungle, if it has the word /dubstep/ in it it's ducking dubstep. Don't give me your over saturated /I'm a wanna be music producer/ opinion. As Anna said people like you are the reason we can't just discuss music. You always have to insist how /we're not talking about the right sub genre/ or babel on about how our taste of music isn't as good at yours because some of us don't discriminate against a song just for being mainstream.

I just said that I hate genres because everyone abides by them. I agree with Marsh though, genres are way over used in electronic music. After being in music production forums for a while, I realized that genres are generally just for people that are trying to copy a style.

Deadmau5, Skrillex, Chasing Shadows, and Rusko don't fall into any genres because they dont want to. They have admitted that following a specific genre only makes all of your music sound like the next guy. All of those mentioned producers are the most successful, and everyone tries to copy their style.

My point is that you can't say that you like or hate dubstep when the actual definition of it is so vague. Skrillex can be classified under Dubstep for now, by definition, but does that make it dubstep? No.

> You always have to insist how /we're not talking about the right sub genre/ or babel on about how our taste of music isn't as good at yours because some of us don't discriminate against a song just for being mainstream.

Don't be a prick. I never said that my taste was any better than anybody's. Music is 100% opinionated. Stop trying to start an argument with everyone around here. It's getting old.

@JeffSventora:

> Just gonna leave this here…
>
> http://www.bassnectar.net/release/underground-communication/

Yeah, Bassnectar has a few great songs. I love Chasing Shadows the most though because they don't follow the typical dubstep guidelines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9sA8S85LC4