Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

24-Hour Challenge?

iSnow

Hmm, I heard about the 24-hour challenge, and thought just maybe I should dump a bunch of my spare time into doing this. My requirements for myself to complete will go somewhere along the lines that Robin did, Should I do it I will be doing the following;

Re-do some GUI, Code in at least 2 new features to the Eclipse source ( I will decide which ), Create a main city, create other areas beyond it to give a region to explore, make a dungeon with a boss monster of sorts for players at the proposed level cap of 5\. Balance out three classes, with at least three different spells for each and three different sets of armor for each.

It's along the lines Robin made for his Challenge, which while obviously turned out better than mine will ever be, but I am feeling the urge to do this out of the fact I show very little here. Besides, Experience is doing something, having others and yourself tell you how you did it wrong and you trying all over again.

Proposed graphics will be in RMXP, I will do some change to the GUI, if minimal. I will not do this consecutively since I don't have that amount of spare time straight through.

Well, it boils down to, should I or should I not?

Either tell me I'm being bloody ridiculous to try this or to encourage me to try it, or whatever criticism you have for me, I will listen.

Project started, thread here - http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,74770.0.html

It's not a contest, it's a way of measuring your own discipline and skill.

If you want to do it then go do it. Asking us if you should is just pointless. This doesn't affect anyone else in any way what-so-ever.

I'd be very surprised if you succeeded though. Prove me wrong. I love being proved wrong in these cases.

I'm actually doing that soon.
I'm studying CS:DE code right now and it's amazing!
Once I understand how to use CS:DE(In-Game Development) and how the code work, I'm going to make a game in 24 hours over the course of 48 hours.
It will be much much easier than what Robin did because I'm using provided Resources and Game Engine very close to be a complete game.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> I'm actually doing that soon.
> I'm studying CS:DE code right now and it's amazing!
> Once I understand how to use CS:DE(In-Game Development) and how the code work, I'm going to make a game in 24 hours over the course of 48 hours.
> It will be much much easier than what Robin did because I'm using provided Resources and Game Engine very close to be a complete game.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

Why CS:DE? I know it's a good engine but it's got bugs, I'm just changing the source to add new features and what not.

@iSnow:

> Why CS:DE? I know it's a good engine but it's got bugs, I'm just changing the source to add new features and what not.

I'm pretty sure that they aren't bugs, but rather checks to make sure that people can't use it who've never touched VB6 before.

@Jungle:

> I'm pretty sure that they aren't bugs, but rather checks to make sure that people can't use it who've never touched VB6 before.

You might be correct, but Robin will probably get here and give a reason. Either way, I'm writing up the topic in the appropriate thread and starting the challenge today :D

@Robin:

> Using the engine I made in _my_ 24 hour challenge (not to mention months worth of debugging and optimisation) is cheating. If you're going to do this then do it properly.

I want to use CS:DE because it would be more challenging and everything would be new to me so that would keep me going. I work on my game like 3 hours every month or so. The reason being, I get bored out of it. And really, I'm not competing against you or anybody. I simply want to use your engine for like a week before school start. Once I'm done, I'll move on and go back to my game.

I don't plan on continuing developing whatever I finish once I'm done with it. It's more of a temporary toy to play with. That's why I'll use CS:DE, not EO.

Sincerely,
Rithy
PS : I never really work with the In-Game Development. I'm more of a programmer and all I've been doing is coding EO so when I'm using CS:DE, it'll be more In-Game Development than Coding since most of the code are already done in CS:DE. Like I said before, I just want to try something new. That's all.

That's not the point I'm trying to make.

The point of the 24 hour challenge is to see how much you can do with a pre-set package in a pre-set amount of time.

CS:DE is literally a fully completed game. It's not an engine. It leaves you nothing to do meaning the time constraint isn't an issue meaning the entire challenge isn't even a challenge.

@Robin:

> -snip-

Ahh, so you mean in 24 hours, make a game by programming and writing content, and everything.

I was thinking in 24 hours, make a game by making content(and a little programming when needed). I don't really want to program in a limited time because I know what will happen.

I just want to make map, items, monsters, spells, etc. I want to focus on in-game development because I never really done that. That's all.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> Ahh, so you mean in 24 hours, make a game by programming and writing content, and everything.
>
> I was thinking in 24 hours, make a game by making content(and a little programming when needed). I don't really want to program in a limited time because I know what will happen.
>
> I just want to make map, items, monsters, spells, etc. I want to focus on in-game development because I never really done that. That's all.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

I see what your saying, but when Robin says Pre-set he means a base engine. CS:DE is actually a program with  everything set for you, except for a few bugs. Much like the RPG Maker programs. I'm using a blank Eclipse Origins and programming in new features as needed.

@Robin:

> Then go ahead and do that. Nothing wrong with it. Just keep in mind you're going to get a hell of a lot more done than I did because I needed to program an entire engine in that time. xD

I did say it will be easier but honestly, I don't think I will. I don't have a lot of experience making a game, especially making map and balancing. This will be like officially the first time I work on the game content. And also writing. I am horrible at it. Overall, it's going to be a small game with 30 minutes of gameplay or less. I'm not even sure if it's worth playing. I just want to make something :D

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> I did say it will be easier but honestly, I don't think I will. I don't have a lot of experience making a game, especially making map and balancing. This will be like officially the first time I work on the game content. And also writing. I am horrible at it. Overall, it's going to be a small game with 30 minutes of gameplay or less. I'm not even sure if it's worth playing. I just want to make something :D
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

If you've played with the CS:DE program before and have been using Eclipse plenty it shouldn't be hard to go father than that in gameplay time, as far as I know.

@iSnow:

> If you've played with the CS:DE program before and have been using Eclipse plenty it shouldn't be hard to go father than that in gameplay time, as far as I know.

That's the thing. I haven't yet. I have use EO and other Mirage-Based Engine for so long, I'm getting sick of Dx7 and VB6\. CS:DE is like a brand new toy for me and should keep me entertain for a while. I also want to try working on the game content for a change.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> That's the thing. I haven't yet. I have use EO and other Mirage-Based Engine for so long, I'm getting sick of Dx7 and VB6\. CS:DE is like a brand new toy for me and should keep me entertain for a while. I also want to try working on the game content for a change.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

No shame in that. I want to do plenty of edits to the source in EO (Hence why it put at least 2 Major edits) because I need to focus more on coding instead of just game content.

• 3 weeks later...