Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse, a new chapter.

Link

**Introduction.**
Hello, my fellow Eclipsians! Questions have arisen about the surge of recent updates to the site, and the new individuals appearing on the Staff team. I am delighted to announce the partnership of Jump Button Studios and Eclipse! 

**Who owns the site?**

AkatsukiNick and I are now co-owners of the website. With this change, a new Board of Directors will be fashioned with the objective of supporting Eclipse, assisting in the evolution of the website, and resolve any differences that may arise in the development of Eclipse. There will be a total of six board members: AkatsukiNick, Lycrios, Agoraphobic, two other members (that will later be announced), and I. In addition to other tasks, each member will be assigned to help maintain a portion of the site in areas each individual excels at.

**What does this mean, and what is the future of Eclipse?**
Three words: A brighter future. 
We are striving to elevate the website to a professional and structured level. Eclipse is in the process of being restructured to set a stable foundation in anticipation of Greenlighting the new engine via Steam. It will take time to for completion. Please, be patient for updates.  
In recognition of the creativity, determination, and dedication that making a game requires; we have started a Featured Game Spotlight. An exceptional game that meet the criteria, and highlights an engine, will be hosted on the banner for free.   

**Community**
The community will receive regular updates and plans are in motion to get Eclipse more involved. Additionally, with the inclusion of new staff members; the rules will be reviewed and updated

**Engine**
The new engine will be written in Java; furthermore, another developer is constructing an engine in .Net. We encourage other indie developers begin work on personal projects to help the community. Nick and I will personally strive to provide the forum with developers who are professional, dedicated, and consistent in producing a high quality engine.
Send us a message if you are seriously interested in being a developer. Although the staff are composed of volunteers, please realize this is a serious commitment.

**Conclusion**
We look forward to working with the community to promote a friendly environment for indie developers to push Eclipse into the future.

- Eclipse Staff

I'm honestly more curious to know why they decided to go with Java than worry about the end of the world by paid features. (Honestly, if they were to sell tutorials or bits of code/extensions I really wouldn't care)

What about EW? Is Seth still going to develop it for the community or is he being sidelined?

Is there any particular reason why the new developers where not introduced in this thread? I feel like since names were excluded nothing has really been committed to.

> What about EW? Is Seth still going to develop it for the community or is he being sidelined?
>
>  
>
> Is there any particular reason why the new developers where not introduced in this thread? I feel like since names were excluded nothing has really been committed to.

Pretty much this. ^

You've talked about the distant future, sure. But we'd like to know what's going on now. You talk of greenlighting an engine that probably doesn't even exist yet, but that's just speculation. This isn't some whimsical change that you brought about. It was planned. A topic explaining the new hosting was posted two days before this one, leaving many users in the dark. We only found out after the changes were already made. Not that that's necessarily bad, or anything, but I don't think the community likes undeclared and unexplained changes in the community. Especially so with a change of this degree. With all that's happening, I can't help but feel like we've been through this before in July two years ago when Amish took over. I'm sure you don't want the site to go through that again.

It's not that I don't want Eclipse to flourish, and I'm certainly no master at managing a community. But with no increase in members, and a plethora of safe words garnered to instill some idea of a future for Eclipse with no real shown promise, I'm not hopeful. Please prove me wrong.

I apologize for the delay in the introductions as the staff has been lost in the work of updating the website and other tasks. Their introductions will be forthcoming soon.
Regarding Eclipse Worlds, there is no reason to fret. EW is still a main engine on Eclipse and the development continues under the command of Seth. I am confident his hard work and perseverance will continuously progress EW to the high standards the community expects.
There has been a debate about the language of the new Engine; your concerns have been heard. After careful consideration, it is unquestionably still is in the best interest of Eclipse to continue with the language we have chosen. Please withhold premature judgment, until you see the fruits of our labor.

Benjo, I know the community fears the past repeating itself; however, that will not be our legacy. Yes, there will a Plugin System and an Asset Store. The goal of the store is to assist in generating funds for developers, artists, musicians, and other members’ that have unique talents to contribute. Rest assured our promises will not vanish along with your money.

JC, do not worry about previous mistakes from a previous owner or developer being repeated by us. The new direction of this community has never been brighter.

Since my leadership, individuals have been flocking back to the community and it has exponentially seen growth and development unseen in several years. The community and staff are working in harmony to promote a better Eclipse. The partnership and new engine will indisputably be the next logical step in Eclipse’s evolution.

I know that this sounds unpatiend but, is there some sort of "plan" or general Timetable to when the Java version will be Sort of available? 

i ask becouse i just started working with EW and to be honest..i rather would like to work in Java then in VB6.

> O Lorde, Here we go again, I was on the fence about the merge, Not that my 2 bit coins matter just throwing them out there. But i see history repeating itself with a possible paid engine.

With all the free options out there nowaday's a small community based engine like this will never survive. I literally paid for 7 months gold membership for Eclipse, realized it was a joke for the perks that I actually got (back when Gold existed) and learned C# / Unity3D  and Blender in the short time since then. If people really want to learn a game there are so many alternatives that won't even touch their wallet.

Really excited to see Eclipse coming from a different angle! :)

You answered part 1 of my question but completely missed or neglected part 2.

You claim you have 2 modern language engines ready to be developed or already in the process. (Java/.Net). My question is, is that a plan or do you actually have people signed on to develop those and if so, who are they?

Followup question, you said:

> set a stable foundation in anticipation of Greenlighting the new engine via Steam

Which engine? (Java or .Net)

> You answered part 1 of my question but completely missed or neglected part 2.
>
>  
>
> You claim you have 2 modern language engines ready to be developed or already in the process. (Java/.Net). My question is, is that a plan or do you actually have people signed on to develop those and if so, who are they?
>
>  
>
> Followup question, you said:
>
>  
>
> Which engine? (Java or .Net)

While originally two engines was the plan…only the Java engine will be developed. We already had developers in the past try to do their own engines and failed horribly. John lacked any consistency, and initiative and Crest had no time, neither had the ability to finish an engine, I'll give Seth at-least that much.

Like you said, it would only promote competition.

#Learning from the past

It was already being discussed before this topic, yet again you're jumping the gun. It was just a mention that Abhi was working on the .NET engine as his own thing. I only stated from the beginning that the Java engine would be the head, maybe people just have trouble comprehending. Thought you guys were smarter, mistake on my part. A few people seem to get it <3

I mean it's only logical that any plan we think has flaws would have adjustments right? Or by your logic should we just go with something we think would fail, because it would look bad to change it before even starting it #Logicrekt

> Only the Java engine will be developed. We already had developers in the past try to do their own engines and failed horribly. John lacked any consistency, experience and initiative and Crest had no time, neither had the ability to finish an engine, I'll give Seth at-least that much.
>
>  
>
> Like you said, it would only promote competition.
>
>  
>
> #Learning from the past

The nerve. I will now retaliate by making known exactly the reason why not only I, but also Rob, quit.

To be frank, Link is not leader material. He in incapable of providing solid direction, making rational decisions, and choosing competent staff.  I attempted to develop for this community, and it was actually rather successful for the first few weeks; however, things fell apart rather quickly.

The developers were treated in an extremely unfair fashion. Link made it well known that he would rather vest power in his cronies than the people who were actually working to make this community a better place. It quickly became unbearable. The final straw for me, and possibly Rob as well, was when Link wanted to meticulously control the development of the engine; he expected us to act as paid developers in an unpaid job. To me, as a full time student, this was simply unacceptable. Why should I allow myself to be bossed around when not only am I not being monetarily compensated, but also undervalued as a contributor to the well-being of this site? 

I wish Link luck. I'm sure the producers of such marvels as a hippie spewing rainbows at trashcans and asteroid clones will be just what this site needs.

> The nerve. I will now retaliate by making known exactly the reason why not only I, but also Rob, quit.
>
>  
>
> To be frank, Link is not leader material. He in incapable of providing solid direction, making rational decisions, and choosing capable staff.  I attempted to develop for this community, and it was actually rather successful for the first few weeks; however, things fell apart rather quickly.
>
>  
>
> The developers were treated in an extremely unfair fashion. Link made it well known that he would rather vest power in his cronies than the people who were actually working to make this community a better place. It quickly became unbearable. The final straw for me, and possibly Rob as well, was when Link wanted to meticulously control the development of the engine; he expected us to act as paid developers in an unpaid job. To me, as a full time student, this was simply unacceptable. Why should I allow myself to be bossed around when not only am I not being monetarily compensated, but also undervalued as a contributor to the well-being of this site? 
>
>  
>
> I wish Link luck. I'm sure the producers of such marvels as a hippie spewing rainbows at trashcans and asteroid clones will be just what this site needs.

I asked if you guys wanted to do a flow chart and you quit, that's so tedious. Excuse me for wanting to keep members updates on what devs were doing, which was barely anything at the time. I never said I was leader material, and I didn't have solid direction when you were a developer and you're a prime example in why you're right about my choice in staff, at-least in the past anyway.

Also sorry I didn't give you more power on the site because I didn't want developers doing a moderator's job, you got bored quickly after you realized being a dev wasn't all the glory you thought it would be. *Yawn* 

I'll admit the situation with Rob was sketchy, however, he also quit because he really didn't have the time. I knew this when he had trouble sending me a 24MB file that I had been asking for a week straight. Don't mix his story up with your own personal feelings. You didn't have to retaliate, but it's obviously something you wanted with the comments you've been making lately.

I didn't want to control development, I let the development team do what they wanted, there was no result from this and members doubted you guys to begin with, except for Rob.