Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STUPID RETARD FAIL JAVA PROJECT(BECAUSE YOU SAY SO) Asteroids

viciousdead

Okay, I'm learning a lot in my AP Computer Science class, atm we're learning Java. Anyways, I'm doing an Asteroids project(tutorial) following a book, and bellow is what I've done so far, I will update it as I finish reading/programing with the book.

Working with graphics/loops, Preview 1:

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/c54f84753d99eede8a73ff7a85688050.png)

Random animation being drawn, *Flare Spell From Orgin: The Legend Reborn, Preview 2:

>! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqU6r-jKVHA

The Asteroid is the Sprite; the Asteroid is randomly drawn on the screen continuously.

You're in AP computer science and you have to use a tutorial book to make asteroids? O.o

what is wrong with schools now a days.

Anywho, the graphics in the first screenshot have that nice arcadey feel to it. Although it's not very clear if the graphics are yours or not so I don't really know what you're showing off here, I'm assuming the graphics.

Uhm, no but my school system had me take 3 programming classes before taking AP…. because it's AP for a reason... if you're taking ap and just learning about loops and you get college credit for that that's just absurd.

I had actually been programming 4 years before taking AP computer science.

@Ghost:

> Uhm, no but my school system had me take 3 programming classes before taking AP…. because it's AP for a reason... if you're taking ap and just learning about loops and you get college credit for that that's just absurd.
>
> I had actually been programming 4 years before taking AP computer science.

My mistake, I just assumed wrong, sorry about that. ;]

Starting out with Programming Logic & Design By Tony Graddis

A massive book all about the basics. It is use as the textbook for a college class.  The entire class is about learning loops, variable types, decisions structures, ect. The class is worth more credit that normal.

Yes, because you can't just have a class worth more credit when the class is about learning basics.

(on another note, I got post ninja'd)

Where I'm from AP stands for advanced placement because it's essentially a college class you take in high school.

And ryoku, in college, credits are based on how many hours the class takes out of your week. All I was saying when I made that first statement though was that by the time I was in AP I didn't need a guide to make a game like asteroids.

Anyways, I still don't know what he's showing off here unless he's just showing that he can make an asteroid appear randomly

@ShawnyBoy:

> I'm learning a lot in my **AP** Computer Science class

@ShawnyBoy:

> we're learning Java.

@ShawnyBoy:

> Working with graphics/loops

@ShawnyBoy:

> Random animation being drawn

![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/so_hardcore.png)

Programming in education is just ridiculous.

After college (16 - 18 here) I went off to get a job whilst everyone else went on to go to University to study programming.

One year later all of them come back complaining about how they don't understand anything and how the course is going too fast. One of them paid me to do his coursework. It was a program in Java where you need to keep a tally of the amount of letters in an array of words. The entire thing was done in a single loop.

I have a friend in their final year of University and they're being told to create lunar lander style game in some shitty scripted engine. This was literally the first graphical style game I ever made… when I was 9 years old on a BBC Micro.

Even in secondary school and college I was told that the kind of stuff I was doing in _Origins_ was more advanced than anything I would ever come across in education. And that's saying something.

Shawn, stop taking full-screen screenshots so you can show off your pre-education grade IDE setup and programming in the background. It might impress your computer illiterate school friends but it doesn't impress us.

I'm assuming you're in America, then. The school system in America is very flaw and stupid.

And I'm also in AP Programming III. It's the third and last class for Programming and it's Java. I believe all high school in the US have that class and we all have to take the test and pass to receive that college credit.

I'm only a sophomore, which mean I was suppose to be taking College or Honor Programming I, but I was recommended to go to AP Programming III since I already know Java. I hadn't take school seriously cause school is boring and it's not gonna help me in life so I was pretty excited about the Programming Class cause it's something I enjoy. Turns out, the class is also boring and stupid.

This is how my class work:
Teacher walk in and put assignments on the board.
The assignments is basically read page # to # then do Exercise #.#
Students read but then confused and doesn't know what to do.

As for me, I just go straight to the Exercise and finish whatever they ask. When it's time to grade it, I got points taken off cause I was doing things I wasn't suppose to such as using Switch instead of a millions If Else statements since we're not there yet. And when it's test time, the test ask question about what we read, not how to program something.

So, back to my points. The school system in America is flawed. The American Dream is no longer true. You better off learning programming by yourself. I learn more about Java by the internet than in school.

Sincerely,
Rithy

You really get points taken off for doing things better? Wow.

I mean, my college assignments were pretty boring but my tutor loved how I took rudimentary project descriptions and turned them in to epic programs. Hell, he saw the video games I made and told me I should turn it in to a business.

@Rithy58:

> I hadn't take school seriously cause school is boring and it's not gonna help me in life so I was pretty excited about the Programming Class cause it's something I enjoy.
> The American Dream is no longer true.

Are you kidding me… One, school is going to help you in life if you have the will to learn and you take challenging classes. You clearly do not care about your future. Two, why the heck is the American dream dead? Is it because people like you do not care anything about education? This is one of the most pathetic posts I have ever seen.
-Drakiac

@Drakiac:

> Are you kidding me… One, school is going to help you in life if you have the will to learn and you take challenging classes. You clearly do not care about your future.

Are you kidding? School goes at a snail's pace and assumes you're going to be a mathematician, a business man, a politician, a doctor, and an engineer all at once. We should start our major in high school.

@Drakiac:

> -snip-

Frostyy is right and because also the poor will always be poor and the rich will always be the rich. That's why the American Dream is dead. For example, I will be successful not cause I work hard but cause of what I will inherit. And open your eye, why do you think college students are protesting? They get out of school and there is no opportunity.

@Robin:

> You really get points taken off for doing things better? Wow.

Apparently, I get points taken off for not doing what they want me to, for not following the rules. Do you see why Americans are stupid? Do you see why the school system is flaw? I thought school was suppose to make students think outside the box, discover something new, improve, advance, move forward, get creative, but instead, we're suppose to do what they say and only what they say. We are limited and stuck in a small box.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> Frostyy is right and because also the poor will always be poor and the rich will always be the rich. That's why the American Dream is dead.

What are you talking about? My grandfather lived in a 10 foot by 10 foot shack in New Orleans, and now he's a millionaire. Do you really think he inherited it? He worked his butt of in medical school and paid for it by himself. People who have the motivation to work hard will be successful. The college students who get out of schools like Harvard and Princeton will always have opportunities.  companies are just not hiring for unskilled workers, demand for real skilled workers is at an all time high. Have you noticed that most people unemployed are poor and have no skills? Most don't not even have a college education. Do you want to know how most of those people got into the good colleges?  It's called an extremely strict work ethic and motivation, something you clearly don't have. I don't even know why I waste my time on you guys, your all high school drop outs and junkies.
-Drakiac

eh, kinda foolish to generalize about America like that.

My high school programming classes were all taught by the same teacher and he was phenomenal. The first 2 years he taught the basics pretty much and after that it was all about problem solving and learning algorithms. For instance, finding the smallest path from the bottom to the top in a matrix of values.

Anywho, the first 3 years of college have been a joke, haven't learned anything that I didn't teach myself 1 or 2 years prior.

My final year however, I'm now taking Programming Languages, Database Management, and Operating systems. Programming languages forces us to learn 4 separate languages in a short amount of time.

Database management goes into specifics about how to set up databases, and not just using mysql queries, but actually setting up the tables to have field sizes that match up with RAM to allow for the fastest access times. It also goes in depth to indexing methods.

And operating systems teaches us the actual coding involved in creating operating systems and we learn how to create an operating system.

All 3 of these are fairly new to me, I just wish this is how college had started instead of how it had ended. Learning on your own will always trump taking classes but that doesn't mean the education system is flawed…. except for when you need a tutorial to make simple games in an AP class.

Just think about how stupid the average person is. Now realise that half of the population are even more stupid than that.

That's why the education system doesn't start with anything interesting. They need to accommodate for the fact that half their students are idiots.

More than anything school teaches you how to deal with egotistical people in charge, how to deal with disappointment and how to deal with people. Oh, and how to lie through your teeth.

If someone has a real interest and they have good parents who actually support them then they'll find and develop it outside of the classroom. Everyone else just needs a good enough CV so they can get a minimum wage job to pay for beer.

@Robin:

> More than anything school teaches you how to deal with egotistical people in charge, how to deal with disappointment and how to deal with people. Oh, and how to lie through your teeth.

See? It is teaching you a good life lesson. That's just like the world of business. Egotistical people in charge and lying through your teeth.
-Drakiac

@Ghost:

> Haha, true shit Robin.
>
> In regards to the original post though, I still don't know what exactly he's showing off.

i guess he's showing off that he just learned his first few lessons in using graphics & shit… Idk it may impress some of the eclipsians ;D

-seal