Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finishing a Game

Marsh

> **2\. ACTUALLY START THE DAMN GAME**
>
> Writing your idea down is not starting the damn game. Writing a design document is not starting the damn game. Assembling a team is not starting the damn game. Even doing graphics or music is not starting the damn game. It’s easy to confuse “preparing to start the damn game” with “starting the damn game”. Just remember: a damn game can be played, and if you have not created something that can be played, it’s not a damn game!

Nothing new in this article. I've been saying the exact same shit for years. People won't listen no matter how many times I tell them. This is pretty much the #1 point which Sebastian and I have lived by for the past decade or so. The reason our shit gets released and the reason our games are actually good is because we release it early and prioritise what needs to be done when.

To be honest the points in the article should be pretty obvious to anyone who's been on here for a few weeks or so. I'm constantly repeating the exact same things.

• 2 weeks later...
I read it and I really like what he is talking about. That there are hard parts to games that may not be fun say for instance, if your not an artist and your all alone creating a game and your stuck having to create GUI and other things you didn't give a think about when you started your game. Every newbie should read this thread.

-CrAcKeR

@Rory:

> So true.
> The part about using competitions as real datelines is really clever.
>
> If you've heard of the 24-hour challenge, Ludum Dare, you'd know how many good games or atleast prototypes are released because of the dateline stress.

I'm gonna try out the Ludum Dare event. Anyways…this guide was good, its given me some motivation :P