Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Social Perspective

deathtaker26

I'm a person who likes to lean back and participate in "Social Observation".

I enjoy understanding others. My favorite activity, is having a conversation with someone and breaking down that conversation to make educated guesses on why they said this or that. I like taking apart a story someone has told, and try to understand how the person reacted to that story, why they told that story, and what that story has done to them.

I recently discovered a channel called VSauce on youtube which explains a lot of social and ambiguous behavior in humans. Why people think the ways they do, why some people are bolder and more goal driven then others, why anger is a thing, and the difference between Horror, terror and creepiness.

One video from VSauce REALLY caught my attention. "The science of Awkwardness". Now, not that this man doesn't explain things through his perspective. He tries to keep any personal and religious belief out. He never goes against a god and the only time he ever references religion is when it's relative to the topic he is talking about. It's a really interesting channel and the fact that it's not biased is what makes it really good.

On this topic, here's the video I saw, and I wanted to hear opinions about it. I really suggest you guys watch his videos and subscribe, great stuff here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o268qbb_0BM

With this, I wanted to start a discussion post about Social Perspective I think that understanding what he defined as "Sonder" is really interesting. That being said, if you under stand that everyone lives as complex as you, wouldn't that be an amazing advantage in life to help you understand other people. For example, if you understand that people think a lot alike. Such as someone thinks more of themselves and worries more about what others think about them, wouldn't that mean that you can understand they're not thinking about you, decreasing a chance of Social Anxiety.

Have you ever taken interest into Psychology classes? I liked mine in High School and I think it deals with a lot of what you explained :)

Or if you're looking for a more social aspect of it I believe Sociology is a thing - I've heard of it but don't quote me on it

> Have you ever taken interest into Psychology classes? I liked mine in High School and I think it deals with a lot of what you explained :)
>
>  
>
> Or if you're looking for a more social aspect of it I believe Sociology is a thing - I've heard of it but don't quote me on it

Sociology is probably my best match, I have to take a social science for my A.S. so, I might as well take one of the 2

I enjoyed watching the video. He says a lot of true things about that of the main character of the universe. Most of the time we think of ourselves as if only we have problems and the other people are there just for thinking about us all the time. We shouldn't worry that much about what the others think about us, if they do.

> I enjoyed watching the video. He says a lot of true things about that of the main character of the universe. Most of the time we think of ourselves as if only we have problems and the other people are there just for thinking about us all the time. We shouldn't worry that much about what the others think about us, if they do.

You just defined what a narcissist is.  Technology is responsible for the loss of interpersonal communication skills. ;)

> You just defined what a narcissist is.  Technology is responsible for the loss of interpersonal communication skills. ;)

As much as a code monkey I am, I couldn't agree more, technology has greatly decreased the ability to maintain a face to face for of communication. I'm guilty of it myself.

I agree with you, and I'm worried about the future of my possible children (if I ever have children). I get nervous everytime I see a new "social app", or a new "meet new people app", for me they're more antisocial apps that lets people communicate behind screens and puts down those interpersonal communication skills. But that's just a small example of what's still to come. Sometimes I even think about if technological progress actually means social progress.