Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to make bodies of water.

Wilfre

For those of you who have bodies of water, and you want them to be realistic, here's how you do it in these sections.

**Section 1: Lakes**
Lakes are basically small or large bodies of water with literally little to no flow. I have an idea how to make animated tiles like in Crystalshire,  but the waters there are blocked off, and switching EO to DirectX 8 is not easy.
So, you want to make a lake. Here's how you do it.
Use Water tiles on the inside, outer shallow areas should be Mask2 and deep areas may be Fringe2.
The 2's are needed for a submerged effect, Fringe2 is entirely optional.
If you'd like to add shoreline, use the edges of cliffs, and beaches.
**Section 2: Rivers and Creeks**
Rivers with slow flowing are simple, use the lake instuctions and arrange the tiles in a river-like look.
Fast flowing rivers are different, they seem like simple slow moving rivers, but I'd use the Slide attribute, the outer areas, up goes down, down goes up, and left or right goes in the direction of the river. Traps can be used sparsely in shallow places, because fast flowing rivers generate more friction on rocks and other surfaces.
Creeks are the same as fast flowing rivers, but always use Mask1 or 2, because creeks are shallow.
**Oceans**
Oceans are like lakes, but use sudden miscellaneous flows going to and fro from the shore, traps can be used, you can use spriteless NPC's that are on attack on sight, but when you use sharks, no sprite or dorsal fin sprites are needed.
**Waterfalls**
As applying to all water flows, I don't know how you can make animated tiles in DirectX 7, but slide really adds some life to water. Waterfalls need waterfall tiles, and in the transition between water and waterfall, add some wave lines, if they don't then they'll look a whole lot like a river.
Slides must go down the fall, and if you've heard of people falling into waterfalls and dying at the bottom, I'd use a trap on the bottom, and some fringed bubble tiles on the base, with crazy slides around it, which should give you a two way ticket to life and death.
**Cliffs**
Okay, cliffs aren't water, but I couldn't help but to put something in. Use slide and the direction to the cliff fall at the edge, and then have death traps all around the cliff fall, use fringe 2 if you want to look a little like your falling. Use NPC avoids to show a warning about the cliffs. In my game, small NPCs called Baki would stay away from my shadow fog that I, Wilfre dwell among.
**Fog**
Okay, I said something about fogs in cliffs, so, let me say this. Fogs are seen in Crystalshire, but that I saw in the data files. I'm quite sure those fogs are animated, but Fringe or Fringe2 are best used for fogs, because you can't see yourself and you can also set up a little trap or death trap none can see.
Well, I'm finished with this tutorial about water, fogs, and cliffs.
I am Wilfre, Lord of the Shadows!

yeah, even i thought that that way the moment i set up a waterfall, the slide worked though, and every time the person fell, they'd hear a pop, and then the chat box says; you're killed by a trap.
it simply needs a downflow animation that i don't have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[of topic]
  the fourums of EO are going to dye from iresponsible talentless freaks posting gardbage because they think there suppreme and on the forums i want to learn and not sit here reading crap so people save these fourums learn stuff and stop doing put downs its mean [mostly directed at people asking and asking robin when the next EO comes out it will come out when it comes out]

So.. Why is this needed? It would be 100% more useful going to google, and making a quick image search.

As for the engine. He is right.. because the community will not grow from when people require topics explaining simple geographic features.

Eclipse Origins isn't a current engine? Why..

Also.. Open Source can't die.

• 1 month later...
@[Pie:

> ICT link=topic=76973.msg853392#msg853392 date=1335134970]
> So.. Why is this needed? It would be 100% more useful going to google, and making a quick image search.
>
> As for the engine. He is right.. because the community will not grow from when people require topics explaining simple geographic features.
>
> Eclipse Origins isn't a current engine? Why..
>
> Also.. Open Source can't die.

I heard that because EO is done, there isn't like an official new version, but Marsh recommends going to Eclipse Galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...