Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Partitioned Hard Drive

Attempted this myself, but had no luck. I was hoping someone on here could help…

I recently bought a new laptop for my little sis for the holidays.

Its an asus, brand new, windows 7, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, the hard drive came partitioned and it kinda screwed up the available memory that is on the (C:) drive. The total hard drive memory is 500gb. It is partitioned to be (C:) 186gb and the (D:) 254 gb. I am assuming the (D:) is made for backup.

I tried deleting the volume for the (D:) drive so that I could unallocate it and then just extend the volume on the (C:) drive.

However, I encountered two problems:

1\. I couldn't extend the (C:) drive.
2\. When I tried to "unallocate" the (D:) drive, it ultimately just became free space.

Any ideas on how to fix this. Frankly, my sis doesn't need the partition or anything, and 186gb just isn't enough space.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

@Skweek:

> There are programs you can use, such as Partition Magic, that can do that for you. I don't know how you would go about it manually though.

Programs are a waste of time and money. It can be done manually with vista and 7\. Thanks though…

@Robin:

> Put in your Windows disk. Delete all the partitions and create a new one. Format and install. Done.

got it! Thanks for that.

The only way I can see you fixing this problem is if you get a strong magnet(VERY strong) and wave it **ON THE SIDES** of your harddrive. The force will merge the two partitions and you'll have your 500gb back(maybe even another hundred gb!). If the computer starts without text saying you need to reboot and it successfully starts windows, this means that you need to re-do the magnet fix, infact even get a stronger magnet. Eventually it will come up with text saying that you need to restart, which means it was a success!

Happy to help, love Santa Claus.

@Captain:

> The only way I can see you fixing this problem is if you get a strong magnet(VERY strong) and wave it **ON THE SIDES** of your harddrive. The force will merge the two partitions and you'll have your 500gb back(maybe even another hundred gb!). If the computer starts without text saying you need to reboot and it successfully starts windows, this means that you need to re-do the magnet fix, infact even get a stronger magnet. Eventually it will come up with text saying that you need to restart, which means it was a success!
>
> Happy to help, love Santa Claus.

That or you can simply hit your computer with a mallet a few times.

@Captain:

> The only way I can see you fixing this problem is if you get a strong magnet(VERY strong) and wave it **ON THE SIDES** of your harddrive. The force will merge the two partitions and you'll have your 500gb back(maybe even another hundred gb!). If the computer starts without text saying you need to reboot and it successfully starts windows, this means that you need to re-do the magnet fix, infact even get a stronger magnet. Eventually it will come up with text saying that you need to restart, which means it was a success!
>
> Happy to help, love Santa Claus.

This isn't 4chan…