Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Me + EO2.0 = lolbored + mail system

PD

@Whack:

> Don't you understand me I want you to release this I think I love you if you do! *hint* *hint*

lolkay :P

@Captain:

> I guess it's okay, the GUI is pretty ugly and non-user friendly, and cannot comment on the code because you haven't shown it, but keep working bro.

No the GUI is sexy :cheesy:

@Duders:

> That's actually pretty complex for a being bored project.

Well like I said I was 'lolbored', its a different kind of bored :P Family over so not much time to add in the other things I want but I have fixed a bug that would overwrite the first inbox slot with the new mail, which was a pretty big problem :cheesy:

Zesh but real talk right here this is a very brilliant system. I would of never thought of the attachment system. I've always wanted a mail system, and I know its your choice whether to release it or not, but I'm saying that many people here would use it (this is, after all, a community to help develop games). But if you do not release it, please do understand that this is some pretty nice shit real talk.

@Whack:

> Zesh but real talk right here this is a very brilliant system. I would of never thought of the attachment system. I've always wanted a mail system, and I know its your choice whether to release it or not, but I'm saying that many people here would use it (this is, after all, a community to help develop games). But if you do not release it, please do understand that this is some pretty nice shit real talk.

It's not that hard to add an attachment system, just have an attachment variable in the mailrec, once clicked on an item make it fill the variable with the item num, remove it from inventory, other player receives it and it is added to his inventory. Very simple, you could also extend it to stacked items and multiple items.

You're never going to get anywhere if you just leech off other users and don't try yourself.

@Captain:

> It's not that hard to add an attachment system, just have an attachment variable in the mailrec, once clicked on an item make it fill the variable with the item num, remove it from inventory, other player receives it and it is added to his inventory. Very simple, you could also extend it to stacked items and multiple items.

There's one problem with your theory, oh great one. **I am a dumbass.**

• 2 weeks later...
@ℕḯℊℌ☂☾:

> Looks pretty awesome thing you got there eh zesh?
> Btw back on eclipse :P

Yea thanks. Once I've got my exams done with, I'll release a tutorial for this :cheesy:

How is it handled though, does the server send ALL mails to you once you open the mailbox, or just the titles? And are they compressed or sent in plain string format? Sending over that much text in it's normal form will just lag like a bitch, especially on larger scales.

@Yami:

> How is it handled though, does the server send ALL mails to you once you open the mailbox, or just the titles? And are they compressed or sent in plain string format? Sending over that much text in it's normal form will just lag like a female dog, especially on larger scales.

Once the mailbox is opened only the mail subjects are sent. Hm…I've only sent a few words in a message..so I'll try a much bigger mail and see what happens. Compressing the mail text string might be a good idea :cheesy:

While the difference may not be noticable at first, when you get aprox. 50 players on your server continuesly sending and receiving packets, long strings can take up a LOT of time to process. Especially if they're sent in plain text from a textbox. EO's packet system pushes them into a Binary format, so I'm not too sure how much it will impact performance, but it may be worth looking into.

@Yami:

> While the difference may not be noticable at first, when you get aprox. 50 players on your server continuesly sending and receiving packets, long strings can take up a LOT of time to process. Especially if they're sent in plain text from a textbox. EO's packet system pushes them into a Binary format, so I'm not too sure how much it will impact performance, but it may be worth looking into.

Hah, thanks for the heads up :cheesy: I will look into it. My exams are next week so if anything you can expect a tutorial at then end of next week but no promises :P