Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zelda: El Reino Dorado (Translated to English as you play!)

LostSoulFly

@'LostSoulFly':

> @'sephiroth976':
>
> > Thanks, the source works from your download :P no idea why it doesnt work when i download it from github
> >
> > Also are we allowed to add to the game / edit it and host our own public servers?
>
> Of course. The source was released by the original developers and I'm just adding to it.
>
> If you add or change anything I do recommend that you share your changes with everyone, though!

Im kinda toying with the idea of opening a public english server for this.. but theres a few things im curious about.

I noticed it freezes and lags a bit when you view an item or a new type of text for the first time, which i assume is because it tries to translate it for the first time and then saves it to a file for future reference, so i was wondering if there isnt a way to just force it to translate every single line text in the game at once and then have a finished translated file in the game rather then have it translate as it goes.. my solution at the moment is to just play through as much of the game as possible to have it translate it before i open a real server :P

Also, the server seems to randomly crash once in a while, and it seems to be very random.. for example, i went to the castle town and attacked a guard, i got killed and the server gave this error and closed: http://i.imgur.com/FBqFAIQ.png

Its happened at other points too but i havent really been able to recreate most of them.. but the guard in the castle town map seems to be something that keeps doing it.

EDIT: This is actually a lot more glitchy then i thought.. it stops updating the position of other players at random and makes it so they run around the wrong place or not move at all, the server also keeps giving the error, im play testing it right now with a couple of friends.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@'sephiroth976':

> @'LostSoulFly':
>
> > @'sephiroth976':
> >
> > > Thanks, the source works from your download :P no idea why it doesnt work when i download it from github
> > >
> > > Also are we allowed to add to the game / edit it and host our own public servers?
> >
> > Of course. The source was released by the original developers and I'm just adding to it.
> >
> > If you add or change anything I do recommend that you share your changes with everyone, though!
>
> Im kinda toying with the idea of opening a public english server for this.. but theres a few things im curious about.
>
> I noticed it freezes and lags a bit when you view an item or a new type of text for the first time, which i assume is because it tries to translate it for the first time and then saves it to a file for future reference, so i was wondering if there isnt a way to just force it to translate every single line text in the game at once and then have a finished translated file in the game rather then have it translate as it goes.. my solution at the moment is to just play through as much of the game as possible to have it translate it before i open a real server :P
>
> Also, the server seems to randomly crash once in a while, and it seems to be very random.. for example, i went to the castle town and attacked a guard, i got killed and the server gave this error and closed: http://i.imgur.com/FBqFAIQ.png
>
> Its happened at other points too but i havent really been able to recreate most of them.. but the guard in the castle town map seems to be something that keeps doing it.
>
> EDIT: This is actually a lot more glitchy then i thought.. it stops updating the position of other players at random and makes it so they run around the wrong place or not move at all, the server also keeps giving the error, im play testing it right now with a couple of friends.

I believe that error was caused by one of my pet changes, and I believe that I resolved it this morning. (I updated GitHub)

I don't know about the other issues you're experiencing. I've only had a few people on at a time and haven't run into those issues.. but I do have some known issues that players have reported to me.

In order to translate all of the text in the game you'd simply have to pass it all through the translator once. It's not difficult to do, you'd just have to program it.

Something easy to do would be to write some code that translates everything on the server once and then edit the translation editor to merge the client and server translation files together.

I am working towards opening up a server as well, and I'm putting in a basic version of multi-server support in case it gets too many people too fast :)

Havent been able to test it too much yet but it seems the crash fix is working, il let you know more a little later when ive had the time to test it :P

The desync seems to mostly happen if one player attacks plants and stuff, like the character wont move right and its like it will be stuck between 2 tiles, a good way to test it is to just have 2 games open and use one to break a bunch of plants as fast as possible and look at the other game, i guess theres a chance it could be my network but i honestly dont know.

I dont have the programing skills to translate all the text that way :P wish i did but its not.. too bad.. i mean it will only lag the first time a player looks at an item that hasnt been translated, but im worried if theres a lot of players on at the same time doing it, it might cause some serious server lag.

EDIT:
Been playing for hours and hours today, no server crashes whatsoever! I did however discover a couple of very minor bugs, you cant create guilds, it will say invalid name no matter what you type, and you cant remove pets, if you hit the abandon button in the pet stats it does nothing.

@'sephiroth976':

> Havent been able to test it too much yet but it seems the crash fix is working, il let you know more a little later when ive had the time to test it :P
>
> The desync seems to mostly happen if one player attacks plants and stuff, like the character wont move right and its like it will be stuck between 2 tiles, a good way to test it is to just have 2 games open and use one to break a bunch of plants as fast as possible and look at the other game, i guess theres a chance it could be my network but i honestly dont know.
>
> I dont have the programing skills to translate all the text that way :P wish i did but its not.. too bad.. i mean it will only lag the first time a player looks at an item that hasnt been translated, but im worried if theres a lot of players on at the same time doing it, it might cause some serious server lag.
>
> EDIT:
> Been playing for hours and hours today, no server crashes whatsoever! I did however discover a couple of very minor bugs, you cant create guilds, it will say invalid name no matter what you type, and you cant remove pets, if you hit the abandon button in the pet stats it does nothing.

Good to hear about the fix.

I was able to desync my character one time the way you mentioned, but I'm not able to reproduce it while I'm connected to the server on my own machine. I'll have to work on that at work while I'm running a server at home.

When the client is translating text, it does not lag the server.. just the client. So, the first time a player looks at an item and the translation isn't in the database, it will only have to translate the description. (It used to be much worse until I translated all of the item names and included them)

Only when the server has to translate something will it lag for everyone, but most of the things the server needs to translate are already done and included in the translation files.

I've also fixed the guild issue and pet issue, though they have not been uploaded as I've made quite a few changes to my source. If I do release a new update it won't be for a while.

You can fix the guild creation by finding, in the source for the server, something dim "Dim N as string * 1" and just remove the "* 1". 
The Pet issues are due to things being translated, and are easy enough to fix as the game expects the original label caption to be in Spanish but, since it's in English, it doesn't fire the events that it's supposed to.

Other bugs reported: 
Something in Goron Shelter?
[Ikana graveyard] (490) X: 12 Y: 30 Report: skill or items in f10 dosent work
[Gerudo fortress] (300) X: 6 Y: 12 Report: leevers are too fast   they are in desert spirit temple and great bay
[Gerudo fortress] (308) X: 16 Y: 24 Report: gerudo fortress key 2 is missing and theres 2 chests that spawn gerudo  key 5
Some of Dodongo Caverns, and the boss seems to be cut off from the rest of the game
Messed up tiles in certain areas (I don't have a list)

Things I'd like to fix/add:
All of the 'Sea' maps are unused. They are created and some even have islands, but they are not accessible to the game. You can even boat around them!
There are a few cloud maps near the high map numbers that were never finished. It looks like they were making a new area but never finished.

My changes recently:

Newer:
![](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4275989/misc/pics/temp/2.JPG)

Older screenshot:
![](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4275989/misc/pics/temp/1.JPG)

Essentially I've created a "Hub" that the servers connect to at startup and can communicate with. I've only implemented a few features like shutting down all connected servers and broadcasting global messages across all connected servers, but there are so many possibilities.

There could be a PvP only server where nowhere is safe, there could be an admin-only server for editing maps, weather could be synced across all servers, server-hopping is probably fairly easy to implement. From there you could have certain maps running on certain servers only.. and if a server crashes the player could be loaded onto a different server instead of being unable to play.

I've also implemented a simple "account locking" feature that locks accounts when they're in use by writing a file to a folder and all servers check this file before allowing a login and deleting the file when they've logged out. I will probably also implement a second version that uses the Hub instead of files for locking accounts, but the Hub is not really being utilized by much at this point.. The hub could also be used to load and save player accounts instead of each server doing it on their own, etc…

But I'm not going to spend a too awful much of my time writing complicated features that won't ever be used.

At this point I just waste time on this project while I'm at work and none of the systems I'm responsible for are down. (I'm an IT guy for a Ford dealership)

So it's a fun distraction that makes my days go by a bit quicker.  :)

Well if you find a solution to the desync problems, it would be cool if you could let me know or post about it here on how to deal with it :P when you start playing a lot with people you notice it a lot more, ive been playing for days now with a friend and were at like level 50, it desyncs on almost every single map, we use skype so i guess its more easy to notice this way.

@'sephiroth976':

> Well if you find a solution to the desync problems, it would be cool if you could let me know or post about it here on how to deal with it :P when you start playing a lot with people you notice it a lot more, ive been playing for days now with a friend and were at like level 50, it desyncs on almost every single map, we use skype so i guess its more easy to notice this way.

I spent some time figuring out the desync issue today. Here's my guess.

It looks like the client sends the server it's direction and the server sends that direction to all players on the map.

If a player is actively moving already based on the 'Lag processing' implemented in the client, this will cause the person to change directions at an unexpected time.

When this happens, the player is forever stuck in place until maps are changed.

I've uploaded a test version with some debug stuff here: https://github.com/LostSoulFly/Zelda-Golden-Kingdom/tree/Testing

I wouldn't use it for a public server, but hopefully it will work. I haven't tested it much yet. Will do more tomorrow probably.

Edit: It's also very difficult for me to replicate this on my home network. I'm guessing the latency of the server being remotely hosted will exacerbate this bug.
Edit: I made a few small changes again. It seems to work good for me, I haven't had the issue come back up in my quick testing.

The desync problem seems to have been fixed in the little testing i had but the game keeps crashing at random when you teleport now with this error http://i.imgur.com/2kdLpzQ.png

Im guessing what you did to fix the desync issues caused an issue with teleporting

-REMOVED ALL THE EDITS-

None of the things i thought it was seems to be it.. i cant figure this out for the life of me.. first it seemed to be random.. then it seemed like it had to do with translations and now it seems to happen when i turn music on.. something screwed up some files on my computer when i logged into the new version i downloaded from github and il just continue trying to figure out what for a while.. it has the same effect on my old version now so im completely stumped at the moment

LAST EDIT: Sorry about all that, i figured it out the path to certain songs were too long and it crashed the game, it was completely my own fault, although its kind of annoying that the path can be too long like that, but anyway, sorry :P wasnt your fault at all, but the desync seems to still be an issue tho now that ive finally got the thing up again after derping around with this for so long

@'sephiroth976':

> The desync problem seems to have been fixed in the little testing i had but the game keeps crashing at random when you teleport now with this error http://i.imgur.com/2kdLpzQ.png
>
> Im guessing what you did to fix the desync issues caused an issue with teleporting
>
> -REMOVED ALL THE EDITS-
>
> None of the things i thought it was seems to be it.. i cant figure this out for the life of me.. first it seemed to be random.. then it seemed like it had to do with translations and now it seems to happen when i turn music on.. something screwed up some files on my computer when i logged into the new version i downloaded from github and il just continue trying to figure out what for a while.. it has the same effect on my old version now so im completely stumped at the moment
>
> LAST EDIT: Sorry about all that, i figured it out the path to certain songs were too long and it crashed the game, it was completely my own fault, although its kind of annoying that the path can be too long like that, but anyway, sorry :P wasnt your fault at all, but the desync seems to still be an issue tho now that ive finally got the thing up again after derping around with this for so long

https://github.com/LostSoulFly/Zelda-Golden-Kingdom/tree/Testing

Okay. I made a few more changes. It's also very easy to make this happen simply by freezing the game's window by clicking and holding on the window title bar and moving the window around for a bit.

Because this causes the game to stop processing things, things get out of sync.

I did a big test with the server/hub today:
![](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4275989/misc/pics/temp/hubtest.JPG)
I have 5 computers, so I set each one up to connect with several accounts at the same time and everything performed wonderfully.
Each server could definitely handle triple or more players, but then things would get a bit crowded.
Note: This is 82 "players" connected and moving/attacking at the same time. If you launch the Client with the -wtf 1 switch, they will move about randomly and attack stuff.

> Fix an issue with the server being full. Added a bunch of Hub features!
> Now maps/items/pets/spells/etc are synced between servers! (Not
> extensively tested, but seems to work great!) Weather is synced now,
> too. And you can choose to only sync one server's weather changes with
> every other server. Global messages for player deaths. Log player
> deaths.

And the best news for everyone, really is in here:

> Fix an issue with the server being full. Enable Debug logging of errors
> for the time being. Translate some more stuff! I believe that I've
> translated all of the descriptions for items/spells, so it should run
> better for everyone with less translating in the background!

I've run a _lot_ more through the translator, so most of the game should be translated now. Item and spell descriptions included. You just need to use the new translation files from GitHub.

Test this one and let me know how things work.

Also if you want to use the Hub, it has to be enabled with command line switches:

```
strSplit = Split(Command, " ")

If (UBound(strSplit)) Mod 2 > 0 Then
   For i = 0 To UBound(strSplit) Step 2
       Select Case LCase$(strSplit(i))
       Case Is = "-port"
           Options.OverridePort = CLng(strSplit(i + 1))
           TextAdd "Server OverridePort: " & Options.OverridePort
       Case Is = "-troll"
           frmServer.chkTroll.Value = val(strSplit(i + 1))
       Case Is = "-hub"
           'anything above 0 will enable it.
           useHubServer = IIf(val(strSplit(i + 1)), True, False)
       Case Is = "-lock"
           'anything above 0 will enable it.
           usePlayerLock = IIf(val(strSplit(i + 1)), True, False)
       End Select
   Next
End If
```
You need to put a number after each switch, as it's split by spaces and if the commands are not even, it won't work.

Like so: server.exe -lock 1 -port 9000 -hub 1
Would use AccountLocking, listen on port 9000, and connect to the Hub on the same machine.

Ive been a bit busy lately so i havent had time to try this yet, il give it a try tonight or tomorrow probably, the desync problem seems to be more of a delay problem, the character freezes in place then after a while starts walking in the pattern the player has moved, wouldnt is be possible to just update the characters position to its real position every time you attack or just every few seconds? it might not fix the desync but it would at least be better then it is.

I dunno if its better or fixed in this version yet tho since like i said i have yet to try it out, but its just a thought.

@'sephiroth976':

> Ive been a bit busy lately so i havent had time to try this yet, il give it a try tonight or tomorrow probably, the desync problem seems to be more of a delay problem, the character freezes in place then after a while starts walking in the pattern the player has moved, wouldnt is be possible to just update the characters position to its real position every time you attack or just every few seconds? it might not fix the desync but it would at least be better then it is.
>
> I dunno if its better or fixed in this version yet tho since like i said i have yet to try it out, but its just a thought.

It is possible, but that also would cause people to jump around the map if they're movement is slightly behind. The whole point of the system they implemented was to give the characters a smooth flowing movement. But yes, that would probably be fairly easy to implement, depending on how you wanted to do it. If you did it on every attack, that's a lot of extra packets and wasted server processing and bandwidth.

I haven't encountered the issue again, but there is a strange issue where the camera jumps up and down occasionally, and I suspect it might be caused by my fix, but it's quite rare so I'm not worried by it.

@'LostSoulFly':

> I haven't encountered the issue again, but there is a strange issue where the camera jumps up and down occasionally, and I suspect it might be caused by my fix, but it's quite rare so I'm not worried by it.

I believe the jumpy camera is a problem with some maps due to the change in resolution, i know the game was smaller at some point cause ive tried it once a long time ago, ive found a few maps that does this, all you have to do is increase the map by one tile the way its jumping and fill it in with some tiles and it should fix it

• 2 weeks later...
@'adiif1':

> Is it possible to connect all servers in 1? so that the players see on 2 hub even though they are on different ports?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm sure it's possible..  it would probably just require a lot of work.

Most MMORPG servers are split into many smaller servers. Usually, an individual server would be in control of one Zone or Map.
This isn't necessary with this game as each map isn't very large and that would be silly.

There are other ways the servers could be separate and work together but it's not really a good idea. Syncing map NPCs/items/resources across two servers on the same map wouldn't be easy.

• 4 weeks later...
Another update to the client which fixes some stuff.

> Minimap fixes. With a slow CPU it would get bogged down drawing the
> minimap over and over. There is now two solutions, a simple Do Events to
> prevent it from becoming unresponsive, and the MinimapBltElse options
> type, which forgoes blting blank tiles on the minimap increasing it's
> speed substantially..
>
> Also fixed launching with the launcher. Sometimes the translation file
> paths would not be set and a file path error would occur.
>
> Translate the PK "Points" currency names.
>
> Add /minimap commands to enable minimap fix and turn minimap on/off.
>
> Name positioning tweaks.
>
> Tiny changes to increase graphics rendering speeds. Mostly related to
> minimap.

Download: https://github.com/LostSoulFly/Zelda-Golden-Kingdom/

My servers are still up and running smoothly, and I've been talking with Dace about possibly re-opening and hosting it again.

Dace continues to map and add content :)

So stay tuned!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
@'Suky':

> Bro i have a problem with the client, when I walk with my character the screen shakes as if playing with a long lag
>
> Any solution?

Yo LostSoulFly how do I increase the max of the server? I wanna increase it to 250 or 400 how can I?

• 1 month later...
@'death2allmike':

> I found how to max the players, But i'm just use your hub system, But can you please fix this error! [CLICK HERE FOR THE PICTURE OF THE BUG](http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/19/40/59/17/screen11.jpg)

What's the error?

If it isn't a big one I might be able to help, but people have been taking all of my work and profiting off of it so I won't be releasing any more big updates to the public unfortunately.

@'LostSoulFly':

> @'death2allmike':
>
> > I found how to max the players, But i'm just use your hub system, But can you please fix this error! [CLICK HERE FOR THE PICTURE OF THE BUG](http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/19/40/59/17/screen11.jpg)
>
> What's the error?
>
> If it isn't a big one I might be able to help, but people have been taking all of my work and profiting off of it so I won't be releasing any more big updates to the public unfortunately.

The Credits are on my client and I been starting up a public Server for Public instand of Trolling system, I wanna run a public server and keep a good community, I have a website, Forums and all. I would love for you to join me if you want. I host 24/7…. 

@'death2allmike':

> @'LostSoulFly':
>
> > @'death2allmike':
> >
> > > I found how to max the players, But i'm just use your hub system, But can you please fix this error! [CLICK HERE FOR THE PICTURE OF THE BUG](http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/19/40/59/17/screen11.jpg)
> >
> > What's the error?
> >
> > If it isn't a big one I might be able to help, but people have been taking all of my work and profiting off of it so I won't be releasing any more big updates to the public unfortunately.
>
> The Credits are on my client and I been starting up a public Server for Public instand of Trolling system, I wanna run a public server and keep a good community, I have a website, Forums and all. I would love for you to join me if you want. I host 24/7….

btw its a simple bug, when your on the horse and facing down link appears to be standing on epona instand of riding her… Thats the only error I have on the new updates.
oh and btw how can I code the source without it saying you need to update your client????? I wanna increase players, Player speed... I know how but it won't let the new complied client work properly... keeps saying you need to update

@'death2allmike':

> btw its a simple bug, when your on the horse and facing down link appears to be standing on epona instand of riding her… Thats the only error I have on the new updates.
> oh and btw how can I code the source without it saying you need to update your client????? I wanna increase players, Player speed... I know how but it won't let the new complied client work properly... keeps saying you need to update

I don't see anything in the client source code about "update your client." What is the exact message? You should search through the client for that message and see what is causing it.

If you change the version of the client or the server the client will not be allowed to connect unless it has the same version as the server.

As for the issue with link and epona, I don't know the best way to fix it. Probably what needs to happen is the blt order needs to be fixed when facing downward. It's probably a simple fix but I don't have the client on my computer anymore as I've stopped working on it.

And as far as changing the number of players, it's possible.. but a lot of work. You would need to increase the number of NPCs allowed on maps on both the client and server as well as the number of player slots available on the server.

The maps are really too small for that number of players, so you may want to consider a different engine with more capabilities. I made the Hub system as a simple way for everyone to still be table to talk to each other.

@'LostSoulFly':

> @'death2allmike':
>
> > btw its a simple bug, when your on the horse and facing down link appears to be standing on epona instand of riding her… Thats the only error I have on the new updates.
> > oh and btw how can I code the source without it saying you need to update your client????? I wanna increase players, Player speed... I know how but it won't let the new complied client work properly... keeps saying you need to update
>
> I don't see anything in the client source code about "update your client." What is the exact message? You should search through the client for that message and see what is causing it.
>
> If you change the version of the client or the server the client will not be allowed to connect unless it has the same version as the server.
>
> As for the issue with link and epona, I don't know the best way to fix it. Probably what needs to happen is the blt order needs to be fixed when facing downward. It's probably a simple fix but I don't have the client on my computer anymore as I've stopped working on it.
>
> And as far as changing the number of players, it's possible.. but a lot of work. You would need to increase the number of NPCs allowed on maps on both the client and server as well as the number of player slots available on the server.
>
> The maps are really too small for that number of players, so you may want to consider a different engine with more capabilities. I made the Hub system as a simple way for everyone to still be table to talk to each other.

How do I search for the bit number of the horse. Is it in the Client or Server? And find next what to type to reach that code?