Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pixel-Based vs. Tile-Based Movement

Ryvius

@[T:

> [h][e] **[e]~~[t] link=topic=78088.msg836934#msg836934 date=1328633504]
> Everyone that uses this forum has used/uses Eclipse. Therefore they have seen tile-based in action, thus there is no point for that option.
>
> Thats not true, some people are just around there to spam the forums (Rusher *cough*) or talk with others.~~**

Well even with tile based blocking, pixel movement gives a lot more freedom within the walkable area. I think it depends on the game. Tibia does a great job of using tile based movement but there are other games with pixel based movement that are also good. Just comes down to how well you incorporate either of them. Anyone could use tile based or pixel and make it horrible.

@Erwin:

> (Rusher *cough*)

Son, I've seen more Tile-Based Movement than you have seen days go by. And while you don't see me posting stuff about 2D games, I am working on one. Just because people talk about different things in this forum doesn't mean they aren't spending their time on Game Development.

*Insert emoticon here, so he doesn't think I'm scolding him*

As for this discussion, I don't really mind which movement is being used as long as it looks nice and dandy and doesn't require you to master a whole new set of controls. If you can't do one of them, you're better off trying the other one, seeing that you'll probably ruin the movement if you don't.

Pixel movement is more real-time, which requires a lot of interpolation. Pixel movement is much more smooth than tile-based movement, so it makes other players see what is going on more often rather than having the client automate the movement to the other tile. Although, this is not that easy to implement and should not be added unless you are a very experienced programmer.

I say this because I have the source to a fully programmed game (although a bit buggy) that has amazing, smooth pixel based movement. I was considering releasing it, or possibly charging small sums of cash ($5-$10) for it. Might be free though, I dunno. Would that even be allowed?

I coded a large majority of it myself. This is not community code like Eclipse. I have the rights to do with it what I please. I would never just sell someone else's code without putting any work into it, or without having the rights to do so.

When you say pixel based movement I understand what you mean but it should be pixel by pixel movement, instead you should make it so character moves in decimals, in other words the game is still based on tiles of 32x32 pixels but they can move to say tile 2.2 which means they are on .2 of the tile but still off of it, rendering things pixel by pixel is very complex and could take up some memory and server band width, not to mention it could throw your animations off.