Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Portforwarding issue

MCADAMS

@McAdams:

> So are you saying that I have to port forward both of the routers, and then hosting the server on my laptop which uses the secondary router (the adapter) will work?

Thats what I said. I don't understand what he's saying, but its probably the same.

@McAdams:

> So are you saying that I have to port forward both of the routers, and then hosting the server on my laptop which uses the secondary router (the adapter) will work?

The primary router should forward the data that arrives at port 4001 to the secondary router. Then, with your current settings, the secondary router will forward the data that arrives at port 4001\. You can read more in my guide as to how port forwarding really works.

@[Eo:

> LiCk link=topic=78353.msg840275#msg840275 date=1329984090]
> Do port forwarding really needs a router ?
>
> Because i have no router , only
>
> A MODEM
>
> - HELP
> I CAN'T Play with my friends

A modem is used to modulate and demodulate data. A router is used to route data to multiple clients that are connected to that router. Sometimes, you can have a hybrid which does both. Networks don't require a router, and therefore no port forwarding is required for such networks. The reason why you have to forward ports, is because the router has to know where certain data should be sent to, when data arrives at a certain port. The way this routing occurs is through a simple table where ports, and eventually protocols are mapped to IP-addresses, which may represent computers (when a computer is off-line, it won't be able to receive that, but the routing tables are usually way too static to deal with that).

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@♥:

> Thats what I said. I don't understand what he's saying, but its probably the same.

If you don't know what I am saying, you either lack knowledge of port forwarding, knowledge of the English language, or the intention to actually read what I am saying.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Crest:

> I had a guide to portfowarding on a post a bit back, if I find it I'll post it here for you

I wrote one that explains the terminology behind it. It lacks a few details, but it should be usable to actually comprehend the entire concept, and why it is needed. Port forwarding, or NAT (network address translation) is actually used because IPv4-addresses are becoming a scarce resource.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> If you don't know what I am saying, you either lack knowledge of port forwarding, knowledge of the English language, or the intention to actually read what I am saying.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

Maybe my English is lacking. I haven't really met someone who types as proper as you do.

I've opened both ports on both the main router and the adapter, but it still seems not to work. For the record, my IPv4 adresses and Default Gateways are different on each of the connections. For the router, it's 172.xx.x.xxx, while on the adapter they're 192.xxx.x.x

@[Eo:

> LiCk link=topic=78353.msg840322#msg840322 date=1330012833]
> Say to me DIRECTLY , do i need a Router or not ?
>
> ^^ .v,,

If you want multiple computers to be present in the same network, you do. Otherwise you don't. If you have more questions, please do **create your own thread**.

@McAdams:

> I've opened both ports on both the main router and the adapter, but it still seems not to work. For the record, my IPv4 adresses and Default Gateways are different on each of the connections. For the router, it's 172.xx.x.xxx, while on the adapter they're 192.xxx.x.x

That's possible. Make sure you set up the NAT-entry properly for your primary router. Your primary router will assign an IP-address to the secondary router, as if it were a PC (e.g. if the primary router has 192.168.1.1 as its default gateway, then your secondary router will have an IP-address assigned of the form 192.168.1.x, where x is an arbitrary number, which is not equal to one). You should be able to figure out what this IP-address is by checking your secondary router's interface, as it will display this IP-address as the external or public address.

Imagine this set-up for instance: you have two routers, and one computer. All data that is targeted at the public address 1.2.3.4 (for instance) is going to end up at the primary router. The default gateway is 192.168.1.1\. The secondary router is connected to the primary router, and it has been assigned an IP-address by the primary router: 192.168.1.7\. The secondary router uses 10.0.0.1 as its default gateway. Finally, a computer has been connected to this secondary router, and the secondary router has assigned the IP-address 10.0.0.5.

To properly forward port 4001 in this example. You'd have to set up a NAT-entry at the primary router for port 4001, that points to 192.168.1.7, and you'd have to set up a NAT-entry at the secondary router for port 4001, that points to 10.0.0.5\. That way your data will be forwarded properly whenever port 4001 is the incoming port.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.