Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Portforwarding issue

MCADAMS

The issue is that I don't know what the issues is.

options.ini for the server is
```
Port= 4001
```
and I've opened the correct ports. It looks like this:
![](http://i.imgur.com/WqLXe.png)
..but it still doesn't work. Nobody can connect to the server. And yes, the server is on.
Also, it wont let me use 192.168.1.1 for the Server IP address, it says "Server IP address cannot be router's LAN IP address."

try changing service type to both if you can.

are you sure your server LAN ip is 192.168.1.9

you are giving your WAN ip to your friends and not the lan IP right?

Your frinds have port = 4001 in their client ini?

192.168.1.1 is your gateway to your router. You CAN NOT use that ip address for anything.

@Fluttershy:

> 192.168.1.1 is your gateway to your router. You CAN NOT use that ip address for anything.

I wouldn't claim that. Routers tend to run several dæmons such as a UPnP-dæmon, a NAT-PMP-dæmon and a HTTPD. It just makes no sense to ever use that address for port-forwarding though, unless packets get blocked by default, and you can run servers on your router (For some routers that is possible).

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Fluttershy:

> Well since he cant get basic port forward working i doubt he'll be running dæmons such as a UPnP-dæmon, a NAT-PMP-dæmon and a HTTPD, the gateway ip is pretty much useless to him.

You should have worded it more properly, e.g. "In this case you shouldn't be using the gateway address, because this is the address of your router, and not the address assigned to your computer. What you are trying to achieve is that your data arrives at your computer, therefore you should be using the address assigned to your computer." (If you want, you can summarise this, but you shouldn't be writing the wrong data on a public site).

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@Fluttershy:

> try changing service type to both if you can.
>
> are you sure your server LAN ip is 192.168.1.9
>
> you are giving your WAN ip to your friends and not the lan IP right?
>
> Your frinds have port = 4001 in their client ini?
>
> 192.168.1.1 is your gateway to your router. You CAN NOT use that ip address for anything.

1\. I did, didn't change anything.
2\. Pretty sure. ![](http://i.imgur.com/8jVx7.png)
3\. Not aware of the differences or where to even find my WAN IP
4\. Yes

@S.J.R.:

> Use the IP shown [here](http://www.ipchicken.com) and fill it in [here](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/status/index.php).
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

Did it. Said it was offline.

@S.J.R.:

> You might want to try rebooting your router, in order to make sure your settings are being applied properly.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

Ok I tried that but to no avail.

@Fluttershy:

> Your wan ip is the ip from ipchicken that Stephan posted. Make sure you give that ip to your friends and not the 192…... Address

Yeah, they have the right IP.

@♥:

> Well to be able to port forward the port has to be opened on main router. I'm not sure, but maybe if the port is opened through both it will work if you are connected through the adapter.

The ports open and you can host it on the computer that's connected directly to the main router. I was hoping to be able to host the server on my laptop, though. If all else fails I can host it up there.

@S.J.R.:

> If you have two routers that are connected to each other, you have to forward the port on the primary router to the secondary router. Then it should work, using your current settings.
>
> Yours faithfully
>   Stephan.

So are you saying that I have to port forward both of the routers, and then hosting the server on my laptop which uses the secondary router (the adapter) will work?