Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Team Recruit

Gleeful34

Hello. I am new to Eclipse, though I have made a few games before. But I am no programmer, nor am I a graphic designer. I just come up with awesome ideas that I can't do, because of my lack of skills. I recently came up with an idea I'd really like to do and do nicely.

**The Story**

>! You are a normal person struggling to ascend the ladder of success in the world. You have the basic goals: fame, fortune, and money. You also have unique goals. But you also have the ultimate goal; **The Quest of Glory**!

There are a few problems with the story… such as, I think there should be a paragraph explaining what the Quest of Glory is, exactly. I've got an idea, but I would want to get other ideas before making it official.

Okay, I can't really think of what else I should put at the moment, so I'll just go ahead and list the jobs I need filled.

**The Jobs**

>! Programmer (2): I want a programmer that can help me with things like possibly a housing system. I know that's a lot, but it just seems to go with the idea.
>! Story Consultant (2): Basically someone who would help come up with ideas to improve the game.
>! Graphics Designer (1): Someone to make paper dolls, tilesets, gui's, etc. Hired: Annahstas
>! Musician (1): Would score music for the game. Hired: Gleeful34
>! Mapper (2): Would make maps.

I don't really have anything to offer anyone, I guess it's just credit. :/ If you have any question or request, just let me know.

Thanks!
Gleeful

@Marsh:

> Try to get started on something on your own. Everyone has an idea but without bringing your own skill set to the table no one will want to join you.
>
> Show a example of something you can do.

To do that, I have to be able to do something. I fail at graphics and the code is way over my head. And my mapping has no detail. I just come up with ideas like I said. But I still want to be part of a game, and I can't find anyone who needs ideas, so I just try to get help making my own.

To be honest mate. If I were in your position then I would not even be thinking of making a serious game right now. The best thing you can do at the moment is to decide what side of eclipse you have an interest in (graphics, mapping, programming) and work on learning skills on a blank copy of EO. This forum was made for you to learn how to make your game. Use the tutorial section and the question and answer section in the forums. The community is also here to support you.

Now what you are doing is asking a group of people to make a game for you. As i said before, the community is here to support you. Not here to do stuff for you. You obviously have an interest in making a game but would it really be your game if you had nothing to do with it's development?

I would also recommend you to work for another project once you have learned some basic skills. The experience will help you lead your future team and help you develop your skills. It also gives you an insight in making a project and give you ideas for yours.

I hope I helped you in a way and if you do decide to carry on with your idea then good luck. :)

@TWIN:

> To be honest mate. If I were in your position then I would not even be thinking of making a serious game right now. The best thing you can do at the moment is to decide what side of eclipse you have an interest in (graphics, mapping, programming) and work on learning skills on a blank copy of EO. This forum was made for you to learn how to make your game. Use the tutorial section and the question and answer section in the forums. The community is also here to support you.
>
> Now what you are doing is asking a group of people to make a game for you. As i said before, the community is here to support you. Not here to do stuff for you. You obviously have an interest in making a game but would it really be your game if you had nothing to do with it's development?
>
> I would also recommend you to work for another project once you have learned some basic skills. The experience will help you lead your future team and help you develop your skills. It also gives you an insight in making a project and give you ideas for yours.
>
> I hope I helped you in a way and if you do decide to carry on with your idea then good luck. :)

This would have been good advice not long ago, but I have already begun development and already have one person on my team. And now I am not merely "asking a group of people to make a game" for me. I am scoring music for it. So it just doesn't seem to be proper to abandon a project before it even gets started. I am trying very hard to be dedicated, something I often have trouble with, and am trying to improve. Since I am trying to be more dedicated, to quit now would be a big setback. Whether this venture is foolish or not. If nothing else, it will be a learning project. Maybe I will even have learned something before this venture is over. But I do thank you for your advice.

@Janusson183:

> Just to let you know, people with those talents will have ideas of their own they want to create, or, you could spend money…

Maybe. Probably. But there is not much else I can do. And to spend money, well, first I must have money to spend.

• 2 weeks later...
@Gleeful34:

> **The Story**
> You are a normal person struggling to ascend the ladder of success in the world. You have the basic goals: fame, fortune, and money. You also have unique goals. But you also have the ultimate goal; The Quest of Glory.
>
> Sounds like everyone's goal in life in the real world. Since you're only bringing ideas to the table, you really should work on those first. You don't even really have a tangible story, no one is going to jump up to work with you when they don't see anything you've done thus far.
>
> Marsh is absolutely correct, you should show us something first (if you even have anything, if not read above). Once people actually see what you can do, such as an amazing storyline, possible ideas, etc. then people might offer their services.

@Lynxaria:

> Sounds like everyone's goal in life in the real world. Since you're only bringing ideas to the table, you really should work on those first. You don't even really have a tangible story, no one is going to jump up to work with you when they don't see anything you've done thus far.
>
> Marshy Dearest is absolutely correct, you should show us something first (if you even have anything, if not read above). Once people actually see what you can do, such as an amazing storyline, possible ideas, etc. then people might offer their services.

I don't even have a plausible story for my game yet Q_Q

On that note, I've made a lot of progress on my game. As much as I want to ask people to join me, I feel like there isn't nearly enough progress to attract anyone to want to help me.
Graphics Design and programming are both topics you can learn if you truly want to, but If you aren't willing to then you either need a lot of money to get a team to do everything for you, or you shouldn't do anything because you aren't dedicated enough.
I'm sure you have a lot of great ideas, but if you get someone else to execute that for you then it will never really be exactly how to want it. It might be close enough to make you satisfied, but wouldn't it be better if you could make it exactly how you wanted?

With that aside; How are you going to accomplish this. So far you have nothing to show. The people who read this probably wouldn't want to help due to the fact that they would basically be working for you. Besides, in the end, with game making as a hobby it's much more interesting to work together than have ideas executed for your purposes.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, and wish your project good luck.

@Wing:

> I don't even have a plausible story for my game yet Q_Q
>
> On that note, I've made a lot of progress on my game. As much as I want to ask people to join me, I feel like there isn't nearly enough progress to attract anyone to want to help me.
> Graphics Design and programming are both topics you can learn if you truly want to, but If you aren't willing to then you either need a lot of money to get a team to do everything for you, or you shouldn't do anything because you aren't dedicated enough.
> I'm sure you have a lot of great ideas, but if you get someone else to execute that for you then it will never really be exactly how to want it. It might be close enough to make you satisfied, but wouldn't it be better if you could make it exactly how you wanted?
>
> With that aside; How are you going to accomplish this. So far you have nothing to show. The people who read this probably wouldn't want to help due to the fact that they would basically be working for you. Besides, in the end, with game making as a hobby it's much more interesting to work together than have ideas executed for your purposes.
>
> I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, and wish your project good luck.

Your post has good advice in it, although I am not sure how to act on it since there's already someone on my team. And unfortunately, I cannot make any progress really without a pixel artist and programmer (already have the pixel artist). So that is why I went ahead and posted it.

I am trying to learn a few skills (mapping, and music composition). I am also making another game (in Scratch, while production is halted as I wait on the pixel artist) to practice pixel art, but I am still not good enough to actually attempt anything in Eclipse.

@Lynxaria:

>
> Marshy Dearest is absolutely correct, you should show us something first (if you even have anything, if not read above). Once people actually see what you can do, such as an amazing storyline, possible ideas, etc. then people might offer their services.

I am not just "bringing ideas to the table" anymore. I am also mapping and composing music for the game. I have said this to so many people in this topic! And as far as the story, I have an idea, but I want to see what the people who join my team think before I make it "the" story.

I am not just asking people to do what I want, I am asking for their input, too.

BTW, if anybody else is thinking about posting saying "you need to do something yourself". DON'T. There have been enough already, so PLEASE don't repeat it. After three people (I think) have posted about it, I'm pretty sure that's enough posts saying the same exact thing.

@Gleeful34:

> BTW, if anybody else is thinking about posting saiyan "you need to do something yourself". DON'T. There have been enough already, so PLEASE don't repeat it. After three people (I think) have posted about it, I'm pretty sure that's enough posts saiyan the same exact thing.

Maybe we had the same idea, but different suggestions.