Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Isometric

Xlithan

Thanks for the reply. I'm -1 step away from achieving my goals ;)

I'm not stupid, and I'm not asking for somebody to write an isometric engine and say "All done, here you go".
Some guidance, where to start would be nice.

@Mr.:

> Some guidance, where to start would be nice.

You'd need to redo all the graphics rendering code, all the collision detection… hell nothing would work. I'm currently converting my C++ engine from top-down to isometric and I have to rewrite everything.

I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be too hard. It would require a lot of coding and some math for the offsets, but isn't Isometric all just a change in graphics rendering? I'm not sure how Eclipse handles collision detection, but I don't think you'd need to change that. Probably the hardest thing to do would be to make the map editor work.

That's what I thought… I thought about just adding diagonal movement and working in the isometric art with the current state of the graphics rendering system but now sure how well it would work.

Obviously I would have to get the screen to scroll diagonally also.

@Mr.:

> That's what I thought… I thought about just adding diagonal movement and working in the isometric art with the current state of the graphics rendering system but now sure how well it would work.

That seems rather hacked together. Instead you could just make it legitimately isometric with some basic math. Try googling around for some basic Isometric source code, a friend of mine showed me a bit of an isometric framework he had and it was like 8 lines to do all the offsets.

@Eckhart:

> That seems rather hacked together. Instead you could just make it legitimately isometric with some basic math. Try googling around for some basic Isometric source code, a friend of mine showed me a bit of an isometric framework he had and it was like 8 lines to do all the offsets.

Personally I hate games where you are forced to walk in isometric format. I would much rather play a game that has isometric graphics where I walk normally with my arrow keys, and diagonally when pressing two keys.

As for mapping, you could just do parralax mapping.

i really hope that there is development in the Isometric area like this 

As  i think this is what is needed to take eclipse to the very next level i absolutely love the engine by far the best i have tried and also most user friendly

keep up the good work and if you need a tester when/if this project nears beta stage i am more than willing

drop me a message on facebook to [email protected] (no e-mails to this please i no long have acsses to the hotmail account)

good work and good luck

Yeah, I don't particularly want it to just be hacked together in a half-arsed manner. If I'm definitely going to do this I want to do it properly.
I'll get started on it using a fresh copy of EO and see how far I get.

• 2 weeks later...
I think some of you don't really understand what is isometric(the people who say it's easy.

You can say, isometric is almost 3D. Like it's called the fake version of 3d, not only isometric is a fake version of 3D but also mode7 wich is the first fake 3D.

When you are working with isometric, you are not working with ground, mask, mask2, fringe and fringe 2 any more but with tiles wich are up each other, every tile is the fringe of the tile before.
And in isometric you only have a wall and ground, the ground fills the square, the wall you can put on one of the 4 sides of the square.

If I want to imagine an isometric map editor, I would say every wall has a back, front and left/right side. If that would be in an isometric map editor, you would be able to rotate the map.