I present to you, RELIGION!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Crest:

> - Y - facepalm

Facepalm to me agreeing with you? Hrrmm.. I need to shower and go to bed. I feel like this topic has gone far enough. agreed? Twas refreshing though. Havent had a debate in a long time. I'm glad I can still do it without getting flustered lol.

@Chief:

> Woah now, youre being just as bad. Lets not make personal attacks. Not cool. Also, what facts did you lay down? I see none.

I was mostly referring to the fact that he was wrong in generalizing all religions as evil, as they clearly aren't. Only a small minority of extremists are. But sorry, i didn't mean to come off as such an ass :3

@renzo:

> Alright, Crest, you need to just settle down and accept Satan as your eternal lord and master.
> Since we're all going to Hell anyways, may as well get some brownie points with the boss man.

Except for biblically, Satan doesnt actually rule hell. He's just captive there. So… -satanism makes no sense at all wut?- lololol

Guys:

Realize that "theories" are pretty much laws that are factual until proven otherwise. That means that the Earth was flat until a better hypothesis came along (being spherical).

Also:

Just because a scientist believed in God(s) doesn't make deism any more real than anything else. You can't test the supernatural; therefore, any supernatural beliefs are for that individual and not for the field of science.

Nobody disputes that.

But anti-religious people also don't like to accept that epistemological concepts and constructs are not all based on pure empiricism, either. Most internet atheists always talk about "science" yet they fall into poor psuedo-science concepts and things that are equally epistemologically lazy as issues they whine about religion over.

@Anna:

> But anti-religious people also don't like to accept that epistemological concepts and constructs are not all based on pure empiricism, either.

Well, they suck. They need to l2philosophy.

I look at theism/atheism as purely speculative. I consider it philosophy. I think if we get far enough down the road, we could technically pull up enough evidence to see if an alien from another dimension managed to ignite what we know to be the _Big Bang_. However, we could equally discover that it may have been ignited by some other means; as it stands, **both are speculation**.

Of course it's speculation, because not every question and concept we have or may develop is based on or can be derived through empirical means. That is where the scientific method will always need some support from other epistemologies. So for the hipster rebel kiddie athiests types who shun any forms of religion and claim to be "scientific" are crippling their own development.

@Chief:

> Alright. First off:
> "All religions, to a degree, enforce hate, bigotry and ignorance."
>
> Thats completely untrue. Its the extremeists and people like the westboro baptist church that don't actually understand what their beliefs are supposed to mean. Its not the religion, its the idiots that claim to believe it  that make the news. Its not fair to group us all together. That is ignorance.

Have you read the Bible? The Torah? The Quran? They all contain chapter and verse damning anyone and everyone. For example:

_If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must surely be put to death; Their blood is upon them

Leviticus 20:13_

_And forbidden to you are wedded wives of other people except those who have fallen in your hands [as prisoners of war]

Maududi, vol. 1, p. 319_

_If a heathen (gentile) hits a Jew, the gentile must be killed.

Sanhedrin 58b._

You can't honestly tell me that these don't enforce bigotry and hate. I don't see why you're so blinkered about religion. Take a day off and read the bible. It is an awful book, based on outdated beliefs and ridiculous concepts - yet it still affects my life today. Well I say fuck it. I don't want it in my life and if that makes me a 'fundamentalist better-than-you atheist' then that's fine by me.

Also, this site is exactly what happens when you take the bible literally and follow it as Christians are supposed to. If you don't follow the bible to the letter then you're clearly not the Christian you claim to be.

@Chief:

> I don't believe in evolution, but not once did I bash it. I actually find the concept very intriguing and quite interesting. Just because I don't believe in something doesnt mean that I have to be so intollerant as to bash it with no respect to its believers. You really lost your composure here, and should feel a bit ashamed. But no worries. When I first started off in debates, I was a flaming fool that just threw up garbage about Christianity without having done the research, lol.

I have no respect for religion. And when you've received as much shit as I have from them, you can understand why I'm sick of treating such bigoted, homophobic, insulting views with completely undeserved respect when they offer me none in return.

Don't tell me to respect religion. That's like telling a black person to respect the Klu Klux Klan. If you're enough of a retard to throw aside evolution and all the works of science for the ramblings of some ancient cave-dweller who thought that every species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house and could fit onto a small boat then that's fine. But don't expect me to listen to that or treat it with any respect because it really, really doesn't deserve it.

@renzo:

> Alright, Crest, you need to just settle down and accept Satan as your eternal lord and master.
> Since we're all going to Hell anyways, may as well get some brownie points with the boss man.

Read The Divine Comedy. If you do enough bad shit in your life, the ever-loving, glorious God will seal you motionlessly in ice for eternity whilst Satan screams in eternal torment and horror before your eyes.

Because God loves you.