Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A nice long game of Empire Earth?

cheatking

[Empire Earth](http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/empire_earth_gold_edition/)

It's like Age of empires but with a much longer tech-tree.

I want to play this again. I was thinking 1-2 hours every weekend saving progress along the way of course. I'm not to sure about network code at the moment so it might have to be played over [GArena](http://intl.garena.com/)

So… Who's up for it?

I might reinstall it. I did a couple months ago because I was in the mood, and I liked the game in general. But the main problem, is the camera is horrible and frankly game-breaking. If the camera wasn't complete garbage that could've possibly have been the best RTS game of all time.

Yeah after jumping through tons of hoops me and Mr. Sean played a game of the classic and proceeded to get stomped by the AI (although for a little bit there we were looking good, but then nope they stomped both of our forward settlements and armies).

A lot of hoops to jump through to get multiplayer working, now though. Since the old Sierra / WON servers are long dead you first gotta get the game to accept direct connects without worrying about that; and to ensure the patches are all the same version is a pain (and you have to use a save-ee custom lobby program to finalize a patch to ensure its synched).

http://www.save-ee.com/

Anyway, playing the game again, the camera is probably still my main complaint. Other than that, the Rock-Paper-Scissors combat style is fucking annoying and makes combat pretty micro-managy (although as far as I know this is a game mechanic common in almost all RTS games since Age of Empires). The only thing economically I don't like of Empire Earth is the lack of an oil resource.

The only mods I've seen are custom maps which are entirely optional. And I don't even use the lobby, it was just a way to syncronize clients (since I had default retail CD release, plus the 1.04 patch, plus the 2.0 "Difficulty Setting and Multiplayer Lobby Add-On"), but yet it was a different client version than Mr. Sean's. Using the save-ee custom lobby client patched our games with optional stuff so it's synced.

@Anna:

> The only mods I've seen are custom maps which are entirely optional. And I don't even use the lobby, it was just a way to syncronize clients (since I had default retail CD release, plus the 1.04 patch, plus the 2.0 "Difficulty Setting and Multiplayer Lobby Add-On"), but yet it was a different client version than Mr. Sean's. Using the save-ee custom lobby client patched our games with optional stuff so it's synced.

They changes a lot of values for unit costs and some other things that pissed many of the old players off. Plus they "attempted to fix gliches" even though they accomplished nothing since i can still use civs tgat give me 70% unit cost reduction.

Civilization isn't that great multiplayer, though. Also you might as well make a new thread about it as they aren't the same genre.

For something more similar to Empire Earth, Rise Of Nations is interesting too.

Anyway, I'm doing a clean reinstall of Empire Earth (original retail CD, 1.04 patch, and 2.0 patch). See how it works out.

Edit: ok well I did both of those and now my game version is 2.00.3466

Hey Keebler Elf, if you don't use anything, what is your max Unit Cap for games? Only 1200? That's bs. It was 2400 with the save-ee patch, I'm assuming.

I reinstalled once again to make sure its a clean clean install, its back to 2.00.3466; I've noticed the unit cap is only 1200 now. Stupid limit, if there is no way to increase that I'm just gonna go back to the save-ee patch anyway.