Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Figuring Out How Many People Can Get On Your Server

Wilfre

Well, as the title says, this should tell you how many people can fit on your Eclipse Server.

Step 1

First, Open up Server.exe in your server folder.
Now lets look at a little label that says, CPS: 0, wait till its done loading and a number will show up, wait for 5 seconds, and during that time, see how high the CPS can go within around 60 seconds.
Gather up at least 10 results, and all we need to do is record the highest CPS, i put mine down

Step 2

Now we open the client in your client folder and connect to your server, once thats done, look at the cps and record its lowest out of 60 seconds.
Walk in your virtual world with the server window open, see it that takes anything, if its less than your original low, replace it. Here is mine

Step 3

Now we'll add up all of our 0 player results
here is my answer

Now we divide this by 10

Now we'll use the player results

Divide by 10

Now, we minus these

If you get a decimal, just round to the nearest whole number

48.3 = 48

If you get results under 0, then I'm am a ducking stupid on math

CPS went up to about 900 with just the server in those 5 seconds.
Opening the Client, it went down to 370 for a brief second. Then walking around, it went up to 980.
So i can either fit about 530 people, or -80…

@Soul:

> This is a bad indicator for many reasons, but I'll point out the most obvious, you assume each player takes up the same amount of CPS; which is not true. The SendDataToMap, assuming every player moves, sends n(n-1) packets (n=number of players on the map). Here's what I would do:
>
> 1\. Close all applications. Start up the server.
> 2\. Record the CPS. Do this for 100 seconds and measure every 5 seconds.
> 3\. Remove the highest two and the lowest two from your results.
> 4\. Take the average. Record it.
> 5\. Add a new player (maybe someone not near your server). Go back to step 2.
> 6\. Do step 5 as many times as you like, but at least 5 players should be on.
> 7\. Use regression. If you don't know/don't care to know, you can use WolframAlpha. Type "fit { CPS0, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3 … CPS#whatever# }", where CPS# indicates the CPS when there were # players on.
> 8\. Observe the fitted lines and see which makes sense (if it goes down and then spikes upwards, it's probably not the best predictor).
> 9\. Use the equation, plugging in (# of players - 1) as the x value. If the result is less than 0, the server can not hold that many players.
> Of course, it's still an estimate; but it is far better than the one described at the OP. I dumbed the regression part down a little bit, but the general idea is there.

this is corect in my server now  can be more then 650 players

@Captain:

> Look up the winsock MAX.

There's no such limit (TCP sockets can easily handle 100K of connections when using IOCP, epoll and kqueue, and about 2K to 5K not using those technologies).

To compute the amount of players you can deal with, you have to look at the worst-case and average-case amount of bandwidth, processor cycles and disk transfer per player. The only way you can know those is by performing measurements, and otherwise looking through the design of the network protocol.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

thanks for answering my question. i always kinda wonderd if i should unlock my server, i left it on all night unlocked and didnt have any problems. i just want sure exactly if it helped or hurt. so as long as it doesnt heat up my pc this is ok?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...