Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C# File Updater

Matt

Hey look Joyce! I can make file updaters too!

I originally wrote this for Benjo, but figured I'd clean it up code wise and release it.
I've tested it several times in the development process, and I'm confident that it should work. But we can all make errors I guess.
[Here's a link](https://github.com/MatthewChrobak/File-Updater) to the Github repo.
There's plenty of information in the ReadMe and comments if you have any trouble, but let me know if you have any issues setting it up.

I spent maybe two to three hours on this? with debugging, testing, and optimizing. The aim was to get something that functioned and throw it over to Doug as soon as I could so he could have something that worked. It would be nicer with a UI showing how much more it needs to download for each file, yeah, but that wasn't really my priority at the time. I might one day hook it up with a nice UI with all those nice features, but it's unlikely. It's there, and it works. Anyone who wants to expand upon it is free to do so. Do you see an issue with it being a console application?

> Hardly, I just thought there might be more of a reason to it. (Seeing how it is easier to use it in Mono as well with GTK this way, or possibly turn it into a portable class library.)
>
> Also, I'm nosey and like knowing things.

Even though most of the code *could* work in Mono, you'll still run into problems. I've actually already tried it through Unity. Stream.CopyTo doesn't work, and the DataBuffer class I wrote wouldn't be able to use the Dispose method. Still possible, but would require some re-writing. I might give it another go, actually.

> Hey Guys, a Dump question, How i open the File? xDDD Or start the Update lol

I left a link in the ReadMe that just contains the compiled executable files.
Here it is.
https://www.mediafire.com/?l8ag2qdhmwx08em

Stream.CopyTo should work just fine in Mono, at least the 4.x implementations of it. Not sure which one Unity uses, but I would avoid Unity for small stuff like this, it's a bit of a hog and not always up to date with Xamarin's changes.

And Dispose() doesn't work? That's odd. I can't say I had issues implementing IDisposable in Mono.