Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you guys think of?

gdog12356

What do you guys think of the old style sprites such as the ones used in realm of the mad god, which actually weren't made by the creators. Attached is an example of the sprite style.

Would play a game using these types of graphics? Do these types of graphics appeal to you? IF they dont, why not?

@Aeri:

> They're okay, but they don't have enough detail for me to really like them. Think about the old Final Fantasy ones and try something similar. These are a bit too old fashioned.

I think he/she done that purposely

On Topic:
I rly like this!!!If i was to make a game, i would most likely use this :D

@Sure:

> What do you guys think of the old style sprites such as the ones used in realm of the mad god, which actually weren't made by the creators. Attached is an example of the sprite style.
>
> Would play a game using these types of graphics? Do these types of graphics appeal to you? IF they dont, why not?
>
> Thanks :)!

Aha, your not going to use those sprites in the engine I'm making you, are you? :P

@Zesh:

> Aha, your not going to use those sprites in the engine I'm making you, are you? :P

Nope. These are for a project i've been working on for a while now. Ive been prgramming it but never exactly got to the sprite style. I like this sprite style because its fairly easy for me to make sprites without help :D.

@Growlith1223:

> I think he/she done that purposely

Yes it is purposely :D. I like this style and just wanted to see others opinions before I get farther in with the sprites.

And to everyone that said they like the sprites, thank you! To those that don't like it, i understand what you mean about the lack of detail, but i think the style is still cute :3.

@Growlith1223:

> I think he/she done that purposely

![](http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/666/_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png)

The point is, it's TOO retro. There's nowhere near enough detail for the player to grow attached to the character. Instead, focus on something less magnified and put more detail into it. 2x magnification is usually the best. At this level, the animations will look shoddy since there's no room for them to be done properly.

The thing with the ROtMG graphics is that they have both a one pixel thick black outline and a gradient going over the whole sprite. Those two aspects on a retro sprite make it look refinished and awesome.

Also, the pattern you have on that sprite's shirt is no good.

@Eckhart:

> Also, the pattern you have on that sprite's shirt is no good.

I didn't make that, i just took a quick example from their forums. I do realize it looks bad, i wasn't focusing on the sprite. I just wanted to provide an example for people who didn't know what i was talking about :3.

@Aeri:

> ![](http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/666/_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png)
>
> The point is, it's TOO retro. There's nowhere near enough detail for the player to grow attached to the character. Instead, focus on something less magnified and put more detail into it. 2x magnification is usually the best. At this level, the animations will look shoddy since there's no room for them to be done properly.

Not sure if you played this game or not. But exactly.

The game "Realm of The Mad God" it all about try to survive as long as you can. You dont grow your character. The whole point, is you choose a character, try to kill monster, get money, get fame, survive as long as you can. Level up. Keep fighting, keep trying to survive. At one point, you die, you pick a new class, start over with a new character, level 1, novice items, etc. These sprites was not mean for player to grow attached to it

@Yumi-chan:

> Not sure if you played this game or not. But exactly.
>
> The game "Realm of The Mad God" it all about try to survive as long as you can. You dont grow your character. The whole point, is you choose a character, try to kill monster, get money, get fame, survive as long as you can. Level up. Keep fighting, keep trying to survive. At one point, you die, you pick a new class, start over with a new character, level 1, novice items, etc. These sprites was not mean for player to grow attached to it

Gianni is making a new game though. Just because he likes the graphics style doesn't mean he will make the game exactly the same.

@Wing:

> Gianni is making a new game though. Just because he likes the graphics style doesn't mean he will make the game exactly the same.

THANK YOU! Finally someone understands :'). Yes, the games will be different, the play style is totally different so i don't really see how you can compare 2 games that aren't played the same way. Its almost like comparing MW3 with BF3, yes they are both shooters but they are played differently.