Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So… this Dvorak thing...

saadhamza

@Zonova:

> Jesus Christ, they didn't even have **computers** in her youth and she still kicks my ass…

![](http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/545/OpoQQ.jpg)

![](http://walyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Williams-Typewriter.jpg)

@Zonova:

> They had  typewriters but most people don't type very quickly on those because clicking two keys at the same time jams the keys.

And clicking two keys at the same time on a computer keyboard makes them come out in an unpredictable order.

Seriously, I've typed quickly on an old typewriter before, as long as it's well oiled and not rusted out, it only jams if you're banging aimlessly on it.

@Zonova:

> They had  typewriters but most people don't type very quickly on those because clicking two keys at the same time jams the keys.

They didn't type very quickly because the keys needed to be pushed back by gravity before another key was ready to be pressed. However, later typewriters became capable of being typed on quickly.

The original function of the backspace key is that it would move the cursor one position backwards. The reason why is so that you could write, what are nowadays known as composite characters in the Unicode standard. e.g. to write "café", for the last letter you'd have to press the 'e'-key, followed by the backspace key, and then the acute accent key.

If you made a mistake with a type-writer, you either had to white it out or you had to take a new sheet of paper.

With the advent of digital computers the functionality of the backspace key has shifted to what it does nowadays: move the cursor one position backward, and remove the character at that position. Therefore composition became impossible using the backspace key mechanism that was common with type-writers. The solution to this is to use dead keys (e.g. to write "café" nowadays, for the last letter you'd press the acute accent key, followed by the 'e'-key, when dead keys are enabled; if you just want to write an acute accent, then you'd press the acute accent key, followed by a space key).

In order to avoid multiple glyphs being used for popular compositions, the Unicode standard has deployed pre-composed glyphs: LATIN SMALL LETTER E (U+0065), followed by COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT (U+0301) can be written as LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE (U+00E9).

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

@S.J.R.:

> -snip-

I do believe my brain just doubled in size.
Now that I think about it (this is in reference not to stephan but to other posts in this thread) a type writer doesn't really qualify as a computer does it? I mean, it doesn't really compute anything..

@Owen:

> I do believe my brain just doubled in size.
> Now that I think about it (this is in reference not to stephan but to other posts in this thread) a type writer doesn't really qualify as a computer does it? I mean, it doesn't really compute anything..

Of course it's not a computer.