Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I was casually talking about politics with my father…

SawQuart

He was watching Fox on the TV downstairs so I decided to join him and add my libertarian viewpoints to Fox's biased reporting. A whole segment about Romney's immigration policies pops up, and the host quickly adds that Hispanics will probably not like Romney because of his harsh immigration policies. My father turns to me and semi-jokingly adds "Heh, Hispanics shouldn't be able to vote. They all just group together and vote for one candidate and idea like Blacks do". At first I thought he was joking so I smiled, but my smile quickly turned to confusion when I realized that there was some seriousness in his voice.

It's not that my dad is a racist (a lot of his childhood friends are black) or that he hates blacks… It's just that there are some times where he says something and I just wonder what the duck he was thinking. He claims to be a libertarian on all issues besides war (he even voted Ron Paul to "prove" it to me), but this... Is really ducked up. I'm beginning to wonder if he gets this "humor" from my uncle (who's son, my cousin, is an absolute racist) or from Fox/Talk Radio itself.

**tl;dr** my dad just said that hispanics and blacks shouldnt be able to vote… in 2012...

But really guys... what the duck. I wonder to myself every day about how I ended up so open-minded in my white, conservative, christian family. I love my family, but they are extremely ignorant, yet call me the ignorant one.

Side note: Today my mom was commenting on John Edward's affair, calling it "sick" and said that she wishes that no people like that end up in the government. My mom voted for Newt Gingrich.

Also, I'm writing this on my iPhone so excuse my grammar and spelling until I get on my PC.

If your dad is friends with a bunch of porch monkeys then he was most likely joking.  I tell racist jokes to all my coloured friends all the time!
Now that I think about it, its been a while since we've talked to each other…

My country is built on racism.
It's not like there is no racism in 2012 so I don't see what you're getting at?
The internet is also definitely not the place to go to when discussing racism either.
I don't see an overall question (or answer, for that matter) in this thread so I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us.
What I mean by overall question is, if perhaps you had ended it with "So do you guys think this is racist or not?" "What are your views on racism?" etc.

The older generations have trouble really fully intergrating into the general mixing pot ideology we have nowadays (for the most part).  Just hardwired from their childhoods, in my opinion. Even when they THINK they are open and unbiased, they still have leftover tendancies from their era. From what I've seen anyways

Also, or maybe even instead, thats just politics these days. Its gotten to be so venemous and fucked up that anything political gets dissected to disparage the politics of other people/groups

@DrNova:

> The older generations have trouble really fully intergrating into the general mixing pot ideology we have nowadays (for the most part).  Just hardwired from their childhoods, in my opinion. Even when they THINK they are open and unbiased, they still have leftover tendancies from their era. From what I've seen anyways

No, they don't. Back in the old days integration was organic and about INDIVIDUALS bettering themselves. Cultural biases aside, individual work ethic and merits overcome such things.

Now adays, the leftists are the ones that are racist; their entire social policies are built up around all this bullshit cultural context. Respect individuals and their rights and actions, return focus to personal responsibility, and evaluate people on their own merits, not the context of the culture, gender, or race they were born into.

Forced integration is no different than forced segregation. Leftists are giant hypocrites.

@Aeri:

> Does he actually have a reason for thinking so or does he just not like them?

I think his reason was that they all just back one candidate without putting too much thought into it, and will vote for people simply because they are minorities. I probably should've raised the point that people do the exact same thing with religion…

@Aeri:

> What I've always wondered about Americans is how politicians try and market a dream by attempting inspirational speeches instead of talking about policies and hard facts.

That's what happens with a 2 party system. They switch views so often that they can't resort on facts, so they instead turn to speeches with no substance. I'm okay with "inspirational speeches" in campaign rallies, but in debates they NEVER have substance.

Because the news is biased, and people are to lazy and or stupid to look up the facts, so they just believe whichever candidate/news combo tells them.  Even though, if you look it up, they are ALL clearly lying or heavily distorting the truth