Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse#

Joyce

EclipseSharp

EclipseSharp (Eclipse#) is a small project determined to replace the old Visual Basic 6 engine commonly used to create small ORPGs with. While the project is not designed to be a fully featured engine ready to create any game, the initial aim is to at the very least offer the base functionality of Eclipse Origins 2.0, which at the time offered a great base to create a very simple game with.
The engine will be written in C# and use SFML for its graphical aspects. The networking will be provided by a small homebrew class that runs on .Net sockets.

Current Goals
At the present time the main goal is to get a fully operational ''game'' running where players can register, log in and walk around a basic world alongside of other players.
This goal includes a map editor and a small chat box.

Informational Links

And a screenshot:
![](http://i.imgur.com/twEewEd.png)

Basically, the current iteration lets you log in, register, make a character, select a character and walk around a blank map and chat. There's a basic class system and map system there. But they don't really do much of anything yet.. But most importantly, the movement is currently 8 directional and completely pixel-based.

As you can tell, it's far from done. But progress has been made and issues are being solved fairly often and new features are added over time. :)

@'Baron:

> Finally, an engine that isn't planned to be just a frame work. The engine is looking good thus far, I just hope you get that goal of it (being a EO2 sort of base) finished :)

I'm testing the engine atm and It's really good. Just the bloody server is crashing but rest assured Joyce is on it with me being on Skype!

Mhm, there's a couple of situations that I hadn't looked into yet! Mostly stuff related to actions while another client is logging in, I never properly checked if someone's information existed or if they were ingame.. Slowly fixing that stuff now. :)

On the bright side, the server has no issues with adding more people to it..

![](http://i.imgur.com/CIyGuJq.png)

That's just a small amount. :P

I've been fixing up a lot of the crashes on the server end yesterday and today, it seems fairly stable for the time being. :) The client has some issues still, but they are all (literarily all) related to TGUI. I'll have to look into that and fix the library where I can at some point, but for now adding new stuff comes first. I don't think I'll get much done today though, and Matt said he'd come and help make a map editor the coming week! So we'll get something out there.

And in case you're wondering, this engine actually does something sensible with passwords:

```
9E3A598F29D9AE90A5B8C55E34786A75B1F97CC349B4B9CB56A221AC67CBF0D1
64516B633996168D8201F4B2879B753E73EEBE54418A55913562D17FFD2AE1D0

```
No more saving it in a readable plaintext format. Good luck cracking that one. :P

@'Zetasis':

> Wow, looking nice Joyce. Keep it up and Eclipse may one day get out of the stone age! Can't wait to see more, good luck.

That's the idea! Any help is welcome of course, it's a fairly large task, haha!

@'Link':

> Glad to see someone working on something in a different language.

I was under the impression you lot were doing that as well?

@'Jumbofile':

> Ive been learning c# so this is perfect!

Haha! That's awesome! I wouldn't take some of the things I did as a great standard to learn from though. ;) Any help you're willing to give in terms of cleaning things up or polish is more than welcome though.

@'GalacticGlum':

> This engine is perfect isn't it! Praise Joyce!

I'm not entirely sure I would call something so basic perfect just yet. :P
–--
It's been a busy weekend, I'll try and get the map editor to very basic functionality tonight. :) No attributes or autotiles yet, just basic editing and then see how the client/server will deal with updating maps for everyone. As for Attributes, because there's pixel based movement I was considering something a little different from tile based attributes, but this system comes with a fair amount of oddities and limitations in my mind, so I'll have to make a few more considerations before I'm willing to share what I have in mind!

@'YourBestNightmare':

> Long live open source. Commercials can eat shit.

Can't say I blame people for wanting to make money though. :P

Anyhow, I have some basics for the map editor in the client ready. I haven't pushed them to github yet as they're really nothing special yet (I forgot when I went to bed! D'oh!). I did push a couple of small fixes I made during my time mucking around with the editor. Downside of this is that I can't work on it in my breaks at work. :( Progress is probably a bit slow this week as it's busy at work, but I'll get to it.. Eventually.

EDIT: Some lovely fullscreen action.

![](http://i.imgur.com/G9jetFy.png)

Some progress has been made today..

![](http://i.imgur.com/UzV6Oix.png)

It doesn't quite work like I want it to yet, and I'm having some issues with the layers not coming to the client properly. I'll need to look into this, but not right now. :P

Tiled has everything you need and it doesn't take much to get collision setup with all objects imported from a *.tmx map. Used it 2 years ago to write Mavra2D.

If you'd like help with anything let me know. Work is starting to slow down and I warped a hub or wheel on the quad; about time I start writing something.

@'Budweiser':

> Tiled has everything you need and it doesn't take much to get collision setup with all objects imported from a *.tmx map. Used it 2 years ago to write Mavra2D.
>
> If you'd like help with anything let me know. Work is starting to slow down and I warped a hub or wheel on the quad; about time I start writing something.

I'd prefer to not use external tools to make things more complicated than the current iterations of Eclipse though. Being able to use the editors live is always nice. I am starting to notice that using TGUI for the interface on an editor is really really annoying and limited since it leaves a lot to be desired. I may end up tearing the map editor out of the client anyhow, make it a second executable that contains all editors? Probably offers more freedom opposed to what I'm dealing with now.

As for what I could use help with; practically anything really. There's too much left to do to really state any specifics. But this issue in particular is breaking my back: https://github.com/Azurebeats/EclipseSharp/issues/4 I thought I fixed it.. Strangest thing is, it works fine when testing on 127.0.0.1 but moving the server to an actual network location breaks it. I've never seen Sockets behave like this nor can I find any records of it.

I'll try to keep the issues page on Github up-to-date with problems I find and features I am working on so that it is easier to jump in and help out.

Have you given any thoughts to Lidgren? I know, I know.. I'm such a fan, but it's sooo good and has a ton of really essential things in it as well as quite a few redundancies for data transfer, e.g. keep alive, priority queue, etc.