Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DX7 vs DX8 [Vote]

Aurelijus1

DX8\. Why? Because it can do just about everything DX7 does and a whole lot more. You can distribute your content in compressed file formats if you use DX8 rather easily. DX8 introduced alpha blending options to the best of my knowledge which is generally used to make an attractive game. You will also find a lot more support for DX8 over DX7 these days (not that you will find much support for either of them).

Opengl because it is possible XD. Anyways DX7 if you want to use a color removal pattern for your image background and if you want to use the drag ad drop GUI system. DX8 if you want 2D to render slightly faster and the better capabilities to to 3D development. Downside is you have to use your own GUI rendering system which can be a heavy drawback especially since most have a hard time making their own controls. Opengl 1 was ported to vb6 a while back im not sure if they did opengl 2 or not but you can find the API port on planet source code.

@'Genusis':

> Opengl because it is possible XD. Anyways DX7 if you want to use a color removal pattern for your image background and if you want to use the drag ad drop GUI system. DX8 if you want 2D to render slightly faster and the better capabilities to to 3D development. Downside is you have to use your own GUI rendering system which can be a heavy drawback especially since most have a hard time making their own controls. Opengl 1 was ported to vb6 a while back im not sure if they did opengl 2 or not but you can find the API port on planet source code.

Pretty sure i remember seeing a LockColor function in DirectX8 to accomplish the same thing?

Ontopic: i would have to say DX8 simply because of ease of use, better quality of graphics while also having a MUCH smaller game(pngs < jpgs/bmps), tons of features DirectX7 couldn't do without a lot of tinkering around with code, and most of all, shaders, can never go wrong with shaders!

ColorKeys/Masks do exist in DirectX8\. However, they can only be used while loading textures. All DX8 does is replace the colour with transparent black during loading. From what I remember, DX7 allows you to set a ColorKey/Mask while rendering, which is not possible in DX8\.

> shaders, can never go wrong with shaders!

Shaders aren't properly documented in DirectX8\. Either that, or I'm too stupid to understand the documentation.

@'abhi2011':

> ColorKeys/Masks do exist in DirectX8\. However, they can only be used while loading textures. All DX8 does is replace the colour with transparent black during loading. From what I remember, DX7 allows you to set a ColorKey/Mask while rendering, which is not possible in DX8\.
>
> > shaders, can never go wrong with shaders!
>
> Shaders aren't properly documented in DirectX8\. Either that, or I'm too stupid to understand the documentation.

http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/DirectX4VB/Tutorials/DirectX8/GR_Lesson07.asp
Doesn't really go too into detail but it's a start!

@'Growlith1223':

> @'abhi2011':
>
> > ColorKeys/Masks do exist in DirectX8\. However, they can only be used while loading textures. All DX8 does is replace the colour with transparent black during loading. From what I remember, DX7 allows you to set a ColorKey/Mask while rendering, which is not possible in DX8\.
> >
> > > shaders, can never go wrong with shaders!
> >
> > Shaders aren't properly documented in DirectX8\. Either that, or I'm too stupid to understand the documentation.
>
> http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/DirectX4VB/Tutorials/DirectX8/GR_Lesson07.asp
> Doesn't really go too into detail but it's a start!

Growl, for some reason, i can't access that site.. i've been trying to access for a month. but it shows only 

No data received

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Growlith, that link talks nothing about Pixel or Vertex Shaders. Like I said, poorly documented. (The SDK I posted below does have information, though examples are minimal and hard to grasp)

[Here's](https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35Ki-WUC3T-TW90aG9PVExtN2s/view?usp=sharing) the DirectX8 SDK, Sher. Have fun

http://www.hugi.scene.org/online/coding/hugi%2025%20-%20coding%20corner%20graphics%20adrian%20boeing%20the%20directx%208%20pixel%20shader.htm

http://t-pot.com/program/16_vertexshader/index.html

oh no, i showed something that was related to shading! i forgot to post more links to even more detailed options!!!