Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NetGore | open source online RPG engine created with C# and SFML

GalacticGlum

I just found this a few days ago and I'm surprised at least from my knowledge why it hasn't been mentioned on here before.

It's quite like Eclipse but is in C#. It is sadly not under development anymore but is nonetheless quite a nice engine.
After using it for a few days I can say it is really nice and a solid engine :)

Anyways just wanted to make a mention of this engine!

Links:

[Main Website](http://www.netgore.com)
[GitHub Page](https://github.com/spodii/netgore)
[YouTube Video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Dh7iQv1fE)

I always found Netgore's codebase confusing, really. Everything is all over the place. It's not all that poorly written though.

I think the main problem was that it focussed on sidescrolling games though, every other engine was a regular ol' top down system and this was completely different. Not nearly as many resources around (cough rpg maker cough) for sidescrolling games.

I used VBGore then tried netgore, Completely agree with the other posts that its been out many years and Spodi discontinued the engine because it was that inefficient at doing its job that he just stopped work on it. Still have my vbgore project :)

@'Dialectics':

> @'abhi2011':
>
> > From what I've heard people say, NetGore was a poorly written Engine. Even though it had features, it's codebase wasn't good and hence, wasn't very successful.
>
> Decent code base. It's just a bit too much for the average Eclipsian to grasp.

Well the last time I tried out netGore, I wasn't good at C# or programming in general. I never did test it out (apart from just compiling it), nor did I go through the code.

I'm actually one of the few who can say that. I helped make MS4 but we never finished it. Also eclipse was poorly designed form the get go when using MS4 as a base. All the packets got messed with and none of which was really any improvements. Then they added dynamic maps which was stupid to begin with they should have done seamless instead. Yes seamless does take a little more effort but its a much better overall system than one huge map which can be anywhere from i believe it was 3kb smallest map size to 4mb which is max map size with a few basic layers. Anyways me a spodi use to talk a crap ton about all this stuff and he did at least try to improve and make net-gore cleaner before completely giving up on it.

I won't say mirage is perfect, because i know its far from it. I also won't say eclipse is any better because in all honesty it is worse. Overall though netgore is much much worse than eclipse. The only advantage it gives you is that it was done in a language which can utilize threading and newer rendering libraries.