Find results in...

Nicer Eclipse

Marsh

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Joost:

> Is this the only measure being taken for new members, or will the site in general be more friendly towards new users with little to no programming experience?

More friendly towards people with no programming experience. The engine works just fine compiled and appeals to a much larger user base. The code will always be there for the more advanced users.

Likewise, normally, if someone asks me a question that is obvious to me, rather than answer the question, I will often simply force them to figure it out themselves, or if they make a small mistake I will act as if that small mistake cause the whole thing to make no sense, and act quite condescending to them. I apologise to anyone I may have angered or upset, unless it's Draken cause clay gnomes are only good for kicking >:D

@GunnerWolf:

> Likewise, normally, if someone asks me a question that is obvious to me, rather than answer the question, I will often simply force them to figure it out themselves, or if they make a small mistake I will act as if that small mistake cause the whole thing to make no sense, and act quite condescending to them. I apologise to anyone I may have angered or upset, unless it's Draken cause clay gnomes are only good for kicking >:D

I dont know what your talking about. Your one of the nicest eclipsians on all of Eclipse.
Your one of the only guys helping newbs. =-)              :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

It is okay to get on the noobs about reading the rules and using the search box but at the same time, don't be a prick about it and, if it is so easy, go ahead and give them the link to whatever they are looking for and simply remind them.

We should also be careful about flaming people for attempting to create fan games, yes, if the game gets good they will most likely get a C&D but instead of yelling at them, give them a simple heads up.

There are a ton of small things we can do, especially for our younger members to make their experience better here at Eclipse. In the end, I find this place to be about having a good time. I am certainly not here for the wage lol.

@jcsnider:

> No point. If you feel that u are banned unfairly. You can reach out to one of us and we will discuss appropriate action.

I've had a warning or two, and have PM'd someone to complain (Marshy, I think) and never even had a response.
So, yeah. Sure.

Oh, and on-topic, I think the problem comes when you're expecting people to be nice about things when someone says something like "Can i haz game please cuz i'm good .what is code?" - I've found that, and this applies to everything, asking for help with a bit of manners, and in a literate way goes a long way.
I agree that the elitist attitude needs a bit of a reduction, but you can't expect people to be too nice when they're expected to put up people that can't use spell-check and don't have the faintest idea of what they're doing and wont listen.

Just my two.

I will not argue your warnings. However you have received 2\. The first one has a reference and the warning had legitimate cause. The second one does not so I cannot comment upon it. Either way, PM me next time. If the warnings are undeserved then I will do something however in your case, I don't think anything should have been done. In the end, you were not even muted and now, your warning level is almost completely gone.

Also, we have an admin section. Not as cool as Area 51 or w/e but there are several topics in there that have been created to discuss if people who have requested should be un-banned, if warnings should be given, etc…

@Synergy:

> I've had a warning or two, and have PM'd someone to complain (Marshy, I think) and never even had a response.
> So, yeah. Sure.

I answer all my pms unless they have no basis whatsoever. Trust me i have sent out thousands of pms i got several  day.

@‭‭‭Marshy:

> I answer all my pms unless they have no basis whatsoever. Trust me i have sent out thousands of pms i got several  day.

That is 100% true. Every time i have sent Marshy Dearest a PM i get a response within minutes. If it takes longer remember he is a busy man, he doesn't have time to put up with 10,000 whining brats everyday ;D

He has better things to do like roast marsh mellows!

Well I agree that some seasoned members can be jerks, but if the newcomers use good manners, I am fine. Also question, is there a rule against backseat moderating? FOr example, if a newcomer asks for support on the shoutbox and you tell them please don't ask for support on the shoutbox, there's tons of threads about he question you asked, if you use the search function in the top right I'm sure you'll find plenty of things that will help. That's kind of backseat moderating because i told him not to ask for support in the shoutbox, so it that against the rules?

@jcsnider:

> You can remind them that they cannot do something. But don't go around and making posts that say…
> "Double Post." or w/e, just use the report button. It is there for a reason lol.

Speaking of being nice, who changed my profile picture D:

I don't know. Backseat moderation is acting like a moderator when you aren't, where the "Report to Moderator" feature is better than a public scolding. However in the shoutbox, there is no report to moderator function, so backseat moderating shouldn't be applied.

The reasons for the backseat moderating rule are:
* Allow moderators to take care of the situation.* Prevent users from publicly shaming another user.* Keep the userbase morale high.

So as long as you politely mention to the user about the support rule, I think it is OK. **Note that this only applies to the shoutbox.**

@General:

> Speaking of being nice, who changed my profile picture D:

Well you started using the image so much I thought you meant you wanted it as your avatar. ;)

I put a link to the original image as a 1 by 1 image in your signature, in case you forgot it.

@Soul:

> I don't know. Backseat moderation is acting like a moderator when you aren't, where the "Report to Moderator" feature is better than a public scolding. However in the shoutbox, there is no report to moderator function, so backseat moderating shouldn't be applied.
>
> The reasons for the backseat moderating rule are:
> * Allow moderators to take care of the situation.* Prevent users from publicly shaming another user.* Keep the userbase morale high.
>
> So as long as you politely mention to the user about the support rule, I think it is OK. **Note that this only applies to the shoutbox.**
>
> Well you started using the image so much I thought you meant you wanted it as your avatar. ;)
>
> I put a link to the original image as a 1 by 1 image in your signature, in case you forgot it.
>
>
> Lol the story behind the image is kinda funny. I used to follow a Rsps project back in the day, Rs2006 to be exact. Anyways, that is the past. But it was hijacked just recently and i couldn't help but start using the image that the person who brought the project down used xD