Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GalacticSharp Engine - C# 2D ORPG Engine!

GalacticGlum

**This engine is and will always be a learning experience for me, myself, and I! It is only public for feedback, improvement, and if you want to use it! But I will be supporting this engine as much as I can!**

![](http://i.imgur.com/ZkP7cr6.png)![](http://i.imgur.com/7VhgSEc.png)

For a few weeks now I've been working on a C# 2D ORPG engine. I have finally made significant progress on the engine and I want to release  a nice stable optimized build late December.

**Estimated Release Date**: _Late December, 2015_

*** The GitHub repository will be up in the coming weeks!**

Features!

* Cross-Platform via Mono -> Easy to Port!
* Accounts
* Player Movement
* Map Loading/Saving
* Map Editor

*** All the code is commented!**

Planned Features!

* Combat
* NPC's & NPC Editor
* Spells & Spell Editor

What Needs to be Done Before Release?

* Centering Players Names!
* Movement Optimization
* General Server Optimization
* Textbox Scrolling + Holding of Keys (GUI Reworking/Optimization)

Technology!

* OpenGL
* Lidgren Networking
* MonoGame Framework
* Galactic UI Framework

GalacticUI Framework

What is it?
GalacticUI framework is a GUI framework specifically built for the GalacticSharp Engine. It's main focus is ease of use. Not only does the framework come packed with tons of GUI elements it's also completely open source and extendable to your liking.

What Does it Come With?
_*All controls are based off the GUIElement class_

* GUIElement Class (refer below). This class allows you to create extendable GUI controls, it is a base class for creating GUI controls, it provides rendering, input, and audio.
* Button
* Textbox
* Ratio Button
* Combo Boxes [WIP]
* Plus, more controls are always being added.

Screenshots! - _Updated as of 11/15/2015_

>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/MqgGISB.png)

@'GalacticGlum':

> **Estimated Release Date**: _December 22nd, 2015_

_Waaaaaaaay_ too optimistic.

@'GalacticGlum':

> I have finally made significant progress

@'GalacticGlum':

> Features!
>
> * Accounts
> * Player Movement
> * Map Loading/Saving
> * Map Editor

Debatable. These can all be done in a day.
ok maybe not a map editor, but: Tiled

@'GalacticGlum':

> *** All the code is commented!**

Not a feature.

@'GalacticGlum':

> Planned Features!
>
> * Combat
> * NPC's & NPC Editor
> * Spells & Spell Editor

Probably should have done at least 2 of 3 these first before even alluding to this…

@'GalacticGlum':

> * Galactic UI Framework
>
>
>
> What is this? Could you provide more information on what you can do with it, what it provides out of the box, what it doesn't, maybe some basic benchmarks with a decent number of controls, etc?
>
> @'GalacticGlum':
>
>
> > Screenshots! - _Updated as of 11/15/2015_
> >
> > >! ![](http://i.imgur.com/MqgGISB.png)
>
>
> This reaffirms that this is being showcased far too early. Being realistic, there is still a chance of this being shelved, you want to make considerable progress so you could know what you are in for, first.
>
>
>
> * * *
>
>
> I am being critical, and that's only because this type of topic is nothing new to this forum (blow your load announcing some project, show minimal, if that, progress, eventually get bored, drop, ad nauseam). By all means, prove me wrong, I would love that, but this is just repeating trends.

Great feedback! Just what I needed!

I understand where you are coming from and let me address this!

@'Exception':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > *** All the code is commented!**
>
> Not a feature.

Never said it was.. it wasn't in the list was it?

@'Exception':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > Planned Features!
> >
> > * Combat
> > * NPC's & NPC Editor
> > * Spells & Spell Editor
>
> Probably should have done at least 2 of 3 these first before even alluding to this…

I'm not rushing into this and it's gonna go by my pace, and as I said before this is a learning experience it's not an official 'product'.

@'Exception':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > * Galactic UI Framework
> >
> > What is this? Could you provide more information on what you can do with it, what it provides out of the box, what it doesn't, maybe some basic benchmarks with a decent number of controls, etc?
> >
> > Now that I understand, I will update my post ASAP detailing what the Galactic UI framework is!
> >
> > @'Exception':
> >
> >
> > > @'GalacticGlum':
> > >
> > > > Screenshots! - _Updated as of 11/15/2015_
> > > >
> > > > >! ![](http://i.imgur.com/MqgGISB.png)
> > >
> > > This reaffirms that this is being showcased far too early. Being realistic, there is still a chance of this being shelved, you want to make considerable progress so you could know what you are in for, first.
> >
> > How so? Also again learning experience and only that! It's not an official 'product'!
> >
> >
> > @'Exception':
> >
> >
> > > I am being critical, and that's only because this type of topic is nothing new to this forum (blow your load announcing some project, show minimal, if that, progress, eventually get bored, drop, ad nauseam). By all means, prove me wrong, I would love that, but this is just repeating trends.
> >
> > That's alright, I appreciate your criticism.

If it wasn't for the fact GG has "supposedly" done other stuff and then dropped it, I'd be happy to see updates ect, But since the 04/04/2015 (7 months) you have worked on and or started these:

Arcwyre,
Stomp! 2D | Java Singleplayer Sidescroller Engine!,
Unity projects (2 I have actually seen),
~The Five Heroes~,
Some guys project with "corrupt" or something in its name,
And now this project.

That's 6 projects in 7 months of being on this forum.

Really puts me off and honestly from an active member of the forum it just looks like another "Look what I can do" publicity stunt that will be dropped in a few days. It comes across (as people stated in the SB last night) that you made them from scratch, but when questioned you used demo scenes or a base or something like I mentioned or created something that's used inside of the aforementioned.

This is not a dig, This is to clarify to GG why people don't take it serious anymore and is more of a helpful post than an attack and I wish GG all the luck with this project like I always have done. I just felt like this needed to be clarified by someone who GG can trust.

Very true, BeNjO

I do have rough history with staying on projects, and Growlith I probably did post this too early.
Now BeNjO if people did care to read the thread it'd become quite clear what I used as it states in in the thread and there's a MonoGame picture right at the top.
Now as for the fact that I have taken on 6 projects over 7 months, that's very true but with a history behind it too.
Currently I'm actively working on 2 projects (ArcWyre and this engine). I used to work on Reckless Collectors but the creator behind that game left so I left too.

I promise it's not a "Look what I can do" publicity stunt because to be frank I'm not that great of a programmer nor am I trying to show off, all I'm trying to do is get some feedback on the project.

I've learned my lesson from starting something and dropping it in a few days, and I'm actually really enjoying working on this engine plus the fact I've got so much time in my hands but let me be straight up honest, this engine isn't something like EO where I want people using it. I actually want the opposite. Ya it'd be cool to have a game or two using my engine but this engine is really just for me to have fun with, and gain some knowledge.

Anyways let's leave it at this and keep this thread for updates, or feedback.

Oh and Growlith, considering I had little to none experience with networking, and Lidgren. It's some nice progress as my initial goal was for a very minimal engine but I am now deciding to expand it.

Thanks!

Never too early to post about a project. He already has stuff done, and a working concept to show off.

Absolute worst case scenario is that he drops the project, this topic gets lost in the site and its over with. That said, its still content, there is even a slight chance that it will bring more people around searching for the C#, MonoGame, RPG keywords.

Other scenarios include:
Him finishing the project.
Someone else gets the source and works on the project.
The project sparks an idea in someone else which leads to something similar.

Don't tear the guy down. Tell him you want to see more! Encourage his ass to get stuff done and he may stick with the project for a bit.

That said, nice start Galactic, please do keep up the good work!

That's what I was trying to say, But in a more stern way. GG knows how I feel about his projects as we talk on Skype about them. He's come along the way and I honestly think the stuff he does produce is very well done and clean (See his coding work too). If he sticks with a project I see good things for him in my crystal ball. At his age, I wish I had the same amount of tools and knowledge as he as I would be further ahead than where I am now, Possibly my name in Assassins Creed: Syndicate credits :P.

Hey guys!

Over the past weeks I've been steadily improving the UI framework that comes with this engine. I've been optimizing it thus making it faster, I finished the text box control (scrolling, and holding keys). I've also made it easier to use within the codebase by simplifying methods, as well as creating new methods to do more! Like for example you can batch your controls together so you only need to call the 'update', or 'draw' methods once instead of doing it for each control but you can still have individual click events. I'm also in the progress of making new types of controls like combo boxes and radio buttons. Lastly I've rewritten the way the UI framework loads your files. It used to load them via the default XNA/MonoGame method of

```
Content.LoadContent("filename")
```
but it now loads it from a file stream meaning the engine isn't using the XNA/MonoGame content folder at all but instead using the classic data files and this method is really quick!

Also I plan on releasing the source via GitHub very soon (2-3 weeks)! Keep in mind I'm not moving the release date, this is more of a beta release :)

• 1 month later...
Alright! I have some pretty exciting stuff. For the holidays I took a break from working on basically everything. Next week development of GalacticSharp will resume and be strong as ever. I'll be redoing a lot of the server and optimizing it further.
Happy New Years!

Regards,
GalacticGlum.