Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Server capability

piscometro

Hello community :)
I am a new developer that want to create a 2d game, but I am confuse what engine I should use between vbgore and eclipse. For that i tried to see the pros and cons of the two engines, but one thing i can't find its the Eclipse Origins max players on the server. So can someone please clarify that to me? :)
Thanks in advance :b

Don't use VbGore, if you need Direct X 8/.PNG Support, look for the Nightly Releases in the custom sections.

You can't really find the actual amount of people on Eclipse, so serve this as a rough/close enough estimate;

Credit Soul for this:

> This is a bad indicator for many reasons, but I'll point out the most obvious, you assume each player takes up the same amount of CPS; which is not true. The SendDataToMap, assuming every player moves, sends n(n-1) packets (n=number of players on the map). Here's what I would do:
>
> 1\. Close all applications. Start up the server.
> 2\. Record the CPS. Do this for 100 seconds and measure every 5 seconds.
> 3\. Remove the highest two and the lowest two from your results.
> 4\. Take the average. Record it.
> 5\. Add a new player (maybe someone not near your server). Go back to step 2.
> 6\. Do step 5 as many times as you like, but at least 5 players should be on.
> 7\. Use regression. If you don't know/don't care to know, you can use WolframAlpha. Type "fit { CPS0, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3 … CPS#whatever# }", where CPS# indicates the CPS when there were # players on.
> 8\. Observe the fitted lines and see which makes sense (if it goes down and then spikes upwards, it's probably not the best predictor).
> 9\. Use the equation, plugging in (# of players - 1) as the x value. If the result is less than 0, the server can not hold that many players.
> Of course, it's still an estimate; but it is far better than the one described at the OP. I dumbed the regression part down a little bit, but the general idea is there.

Soo that way I can estimate the number of players i can get on :)
But can someone ask to my other question, if my game got to a large scale (could happen, who knows) could i have more than one server, that comunicate with each other, making my game capable of handling soo much more players? :)

@piscometro:

> Soo that way I can estimate the number of players i can get on :)
> But can someone ask to my other question, if my game got to a large scale (could happen, who knows) could i have more than one server, that comunicate with each other, making my game capable of handling soo much more players? :)

Yes, but that requires you to edit the code. I'm trying to make something like that and I'll release it if it goes successful (and then it'll blow up my processor with all the servers, and then I won't even be able to access it!  :P).

Netgore's community may not be active, but that's mainly because it's a pain in the ass to get it to work compared to Eclipse. However, pretty much everything from networking to graphics engine is done much better by someone who is a really good programmer.

@piscometro:

> Humm, if you need help and i can help, say something ;)
> Is a thing that I care, because we dont know when i game gotta gone famous, and need more capacibility :)

**NOT** a single Eclipse Game has had that many players, I'm sorry, but that's the truth. I had to say it.