Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Offline Map Editor

Xlithan

This always gets brought up, countless times.

I've given it a bash myself and I just can't seem to put all the pieces together. There's so much code related to the map editor just scattered randomly around the client that it's difficult to try and pin-point it all and put it into a new project.

If anybody has one working, or can help me to make one which I will happily share with the rest of the community, please reply :)

Well, seeing as the maps are stored in both the server and client.. It might be a bit difficult, unless somehow the server 'copies' the maps from the client's maps.
I don't think it's possible without completely changing how the maps are stored and read.

No you're completely wrong. The server loads all the map data from the map#.dat files, sends that data to the client, and the client uses the data to draw to the screen. The maps are saved on the client side for faster loading (I think), so that it doesn't have to get all the data packets from the server, unless the map was changed (Uses a revision number to check I think).

The server does use some things that would be useful for an offline map editor, such as the saving and loading code.

@Xlithan:

> No you're completely wrong. The server loads all the map data from the map#.dat files, sends that data to the client, and the client uses the data to draw to the screen. The maps are saved on the client side for faster loading (I think), so that it doesn't have to get all the data packets from the server, unless the map was changed (Uses a revision number to check I think).
>
> The server does use some things that would be useful for an offline map editor, such as the saving and loading code.

So I wasn't completely wrong, was I?
Since you would still need the map data stored on the server to be saved to the client instead, hence, you'd need to change how maps are stored and read.
If you can do it, I'll be very impressed, and very intrigued to see how you did it.

i think an offline editor would be great idea. Say your at work with an hour lunch and no internet you can still finish that forest area you have been working on then when you get home you can just copy the map files to the server directly then start it up and viola!

Now, it would be easy enough to make a copy of the server/client and take it with you and run it under local host then copy the map data when you get home… but having multiple copies of your game server can be very problematic if you get them mixed up you could lose alot of data.

• 2 weeks later...
It could actually be quite simple to do. The server sends over map cache to the client so why don't you just make the editor point to that cache file. You would then need to add something to the Map UDT like "Revision" and when the server starts up, send all the revisions from the server-side maps: If the client's maps have a higher Revision then send over the client maps to the server.